Back to AWD and boy does it feel good. I dont think ill ever like have 2wd, just dont feel right. Felt loose, every shift was a burnout :devil: unless i baby'd it, guess most of you wouldn't know what that was like :D:jester::jester::jester:

sorry ben :jester:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I don't really remember saying that you could not take the front shaft out of a 4x4. :dunno: . Anyway back to keeping it civil all I wanted to say was that at any rate the tires are going to last longer in a 2wd vehicle.... period. Thats why I disconnected my shaft. Oh and by the way I am not a moron I am a gemini! :wtf:

dont bash me moron...I was trying to keep it civil. comparing a 4x4 and an AWD is like comparing a blonde and a red head....they may do basically the same thing... but have different ways of going about it.  :lol:

a 4x4 splits the torque 50/50.....period. No variance between front and rear bias or ability to move the torque. oh....and you can take the front shaft out of a 4x4.

:smash:  :smash:  :smash:  :smash:  :smash:  :smash:  :smash:

Well, I don't really remember saying that you could not take the front shaft out of a 4x4. :dunno: . Anyway back to keeping it civil all I wanted to say was that at any rate the tires are going to last longer in a 2wd vehicle....  period. Thats why I disconnected my shaft. Oh and by the way I am not a moron I am a gemini! :wtf:

So... just so I understand... you bought a $40k truck... then disconnect the front shaft to save a couple of dollars in gas and stretch the life of your tires by a little bit? Does anyone else find this a little strange? :confused:

Well, I don't really remember saying that you could not take the front shaft out of a 4x4. :dunno: . Anyway back to keeping it civil all I wanted to say was that at any rate the tires are going to last longer in a 2wd vehicle....  period. Thats why I disconnected my shaft. Oh and by the way I am not a moron I am a gemini! :wtf:

So... just so I understand... you bought a $40k truck... then disconnect the front shaft to save a couple of dollars in gas and stretch the life of your tires by a little bit? Does anyone else find this a little strange? :confused:

I think he did it to do burnouts (I know this has been said a thousand times) but anyways lets see some burnout pics and if you'd like truckin05 I'll even dig up the burnout thread I started so you can post your pics in there! if you don't know how to post pics you can e-mail them to me and I will post them for you!

I think he did it to do burnouts (I know this has been said a thousand times) but anyways lets see some burnout pics and if you'd like truckin05

I'd agree if he hadn't just said that running a truck in 2wd w/ regular rotations is going to extend the life of the tires over AWD.... that doesn't sound like someone concerned w/ big smokey burnouts.

You really got to get a sponsorship for tires Jon... I think you've gotten just a little burnout happy. From Zippy I expect it... but your takin it to a whole new level. :D

I think he did it to do burnouts (I know this has been said a thousand times) but anyways lets see some burnout pics and if you'd like truckin05

I'd agree if he hadn't just said that running a truck in 2wd w/ regular rotations is going to extend the life of the tires over AWD.... that doesn't sound like someone concerned w/ big smokey burnouts.

You really got to get a sponsorship for tires Jon... I think you've gotten just a little burnout happy. From Zippy I expect it... but your takin it to a whole new level. :D

LOL maybe I need help from what I can remember the last two times ya saw me I did atleast a small burnout. :D:chevy::devil:

I knew that the truck came in 2wd or 4wd, but at the time I did not know that the 4x4 was really a AWD. :banghead: So after I bought it I said well thats no big problem I'll just take the shaft out and be just fine. (With a little bit of research). :thumbs: Then if I were to need it I could just "pop" it right back in. No I did not do it for burnouts or dyno runs. I to be honest could not tell you where the nearest dyno machine is in Parkwood, North Carolina.:crackup:

Yeah... I know what you mean. I'll just wait and see what happens. So far got about 4300 miles on it with the shaft out and everything running strong. Hope it stays that way! :uhoh:

that's my fear though....the mechanics that gave you to OK to take it out...are confusing it with the BorgWarner electronic AWD or the AutoTrac 4WD....and they don't realize it is a "mechanical-full time" AWD.

So... just so I understand... you bought a $40k truck... then disconnect the front shaft to save a couple of dollars in gas and stretch the life of your tires by a little bit? Does anyone else find this a little strange?  :confused:

Nope, you're not the only one. Been my point all along. Whose to say his tires will wear out any sooner than those that keep the shaft in? It'll take about 40k miles to find out and by then, he won't have to worry about that shaft anymore.

Archived