Velvet Ride Shackles

dcairns

...but I was occupied with traffic and forgot to take special note :rolleyes: . I guess this means it reduced it enough that it didn't enter my mind while driving.

Basically, that was my reaction after installing my Velvets. I had to think back on the roads that gave me problems with the pogo bounce and noticed that although I felt the road irregularity, I no longer had the pogo effect. Other than that, it was just a another ride down the road. :sleep:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'll be the hard headed, stupid truck guy and go with DJM shackles. I'd like to have the velvet ride but in this case it's going to be form before function.

'Velvet Ride thingy' is obviously a technical term us laymen aren't familiar with.

I don't think that's the way Dave described it.

Picky, picky, picky. You military types are so damn anal about little tinny winny details. I suppose if you're conducting live fire exercises you actually want to know the EXACT location of the enemy, too. Geeeeez. :nono:

I paid attention to the road this morning, and yes they do make a difference. I still bounce some, but it seems in proportion to what the road is doing, not 2-3 times worse than the road. I noticed I could tell the difference between the front and rear's response and the rear had a softer feel on the bounce. The best thing is that the bounces don't seem to add together to make the uncomfortable bounce.

Last night I tried the cornering on an on-ramp and the Velvet Rides don't seem to have had any impact on cornering. I need to find one with some rough surface to it and see how combo of hard cornering and rough pavement works.

In my last truck, where I had added Hotchkis front and rear anti-sway bars, I found that in curves, the bumps didn't matter. The truck was so firmly planted in the curves, bumps in the curve, had very little impact. Not compared to the usual feeling that the truck is skidding sideways, anyway. So, when you get your rear anti-sway bar installed, "in the curve" will take on a whole new light. Not saying that the ride shackles won't help in the curves, but you should feel a much greater help from the anti-sway bar. At least that it what my experience was. Wheel hop in a bumpy curve will be a thing of the past.

I was checking the cornering with the Velvet Rides to see if they made cornering any worse, actually. I don't think they would help much, except perhaps in the rough pavement corner situation. But that remains to be seen. You are right, the correct item for helping the SS corner better is the anti-sway bar. I just picked my Hellwig anti-sway bar from JBM last night and promptly hid it in the garage ;) .

As far as this weekend I'm going to have to pass, bro............even with that delightful offer of cold BEER.  That trip I was supposed to have made two or three weeks ago to get my better half got delayed and delayed and delayed. It's been a nightmare. Anyway, I'm finally [he says with crossed fingers] going to make that run Wed. night and bring her back Thurs or Friday. So, this weekend will be spent in............................well, you know.  I'll take a rain-check for the get together, though. Cool?

:seeya: Next time! :thumbs:

After doing some driving on the Velvet Rides, I think I can offer a good opinion about them now.

Using the AAAAAAAAAAAAA test* on a bouncy stretch of concrete freeway, I can say there is a definite improvement. I still get bounced enough to make my singing warble, but just barely. Nowhere near as bad as before, which had a definite jarring in the warble.

They do not seem to hurt the handling.

*The "AAAAAAAAAAAAA test" - Attempting to sing a constant note on a bouncy road. If the road is bouncy enough, the constant note becomes a UUHUUHUUHUUHUUH instead of an constant AAAAAAAAAAAA. And, no, you don't want to hear me singing :puke: . :jester:

becomes a UUHUUHUUHUUHUUH instead of an constant AAAAAAAAAAAA

Boy, I'm glad you cleared THAT up. :D

Per the Velvet Ride. Looks like I'm going to need to get me a set. I have got to calm this truck down a little on rough roads. Thanks for the update, Dave. :thumbs:

For those that have been underneath the truck, any chance of getting the velvet ride shackles and doing a flip on the axle? I want good ride and some lowering. Velvet ride seems to only provide better ride. DAMMIT I WANT IT ALL!

Also, would it be possible to recreate the velvet ride by creating a longer shackle thus lowering the truck too? I can't tell by the pictures how they are made.

*The "AAAAAAAAAAAAA test" - Attempting to sing a constant note on a bouncy road. If the road is bouncy enough, the constant note becomes a UUHUUHUUHUUHUUH instead of an constant AAAAAAAAAAAA. And, no, you don't want to hear me singing :puke: . :jester:

This is certainly a quote that I'm saving in the notepad. :cheers:

Archived