Velvet Ride Shackles

dcairns

Irymal, after having the shackles, what do you think of them. Better ride now on expansion joints? Did it lower it any. I'm wanting 2" in the rear.

Oh, gosh yes. Expansion joints no longer pogo on me. Basically, all these do is remove the hard edge that a back-end bounce gives you.

Can't answer how the drop will affect a SS since mine is a Z71 which has a lift block from the factory on the factory leaf springs. So, all I can answer is what it did for my Z71. The drop was just like the Velvet Ride web site claims... there is a slight drop. I think about one or two inces. With a SS already low, I dunno...

I'd be careful. I think one of the most marvelous factors of the SS is its sporty ride. I'd be scared to mess with its design. At least on my Z71, nearly anything I do improves it. I have plenty of latitude to play around with which you guys don't have. :thumbs:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I'll probably wait until dcairns tries it and see what he gets. For that matter, he should already know.

dcairns, how much did it lower your SS?

If all else fails, I think I'm going to do 2" shackles from DJM in the rear with 1 1/2" in the front. All this depends on if the alignment shop is going to be busy Sat. Plus the shackles from DJM are only like $50.

dcairns, how much did it lower your SS?

You must have missed it earlier in this thread:

Since the SS already has a kind of "drop shackle" on it, the ride height seems to have changed little. A quick before and after measurement shows 1/8 inch on one side and 7/16 on the other. So it looks like 1/2 inch max drop from adding these.

I wonder how this works out if you want the Velvet Ride and you want to drop the rear? You can't have two shackles going. :confused:

I raced across the problem stretch of freeway this morning and didn't notice the jounce at all, but I was occupied with traffic and forgot to take special note :rolleyes: . I guess this means it reduced it enough that it didn't enter my mind while driving. I will have to do some more testing, especially in the handling department, to see if any cornering ability is lost. One thing that might be interesting is seeing how the cornering on rough pavement is affected. In stock form the rear seemed to lose some traction as it bounces over the rough pavement.

In stock form the rear seemed to lose some traction as it bounces over the rough pavement.

Mine too. I anxiously await further impressions, dcairns. Thanks for being the test-bed here. I'm very interested in this product (maybe I can get a discount if I purchase them from Honest Lee's Paint Shop :D ).

(maybe I can get a discount if I purchase them from Honest Lee's Paint Shop

You lucky devil, you. I'll bet you can. You know what they say, "it's not what you know but who you know." This is gonna be your lucky day, bro. :thumbs:

Footnote to Honest Lee's Paint and Body Emporium. He just "sub-contracted" his bowtie to another (real) paint shop this morning. It's gonna be red with a black border (just like the Photoshop photo). Todd (aka - tg18), who is also a member of the board, is doing it for me. Can't wait. Black grill, black "air" intakes and red bowtie. Yee Ha. I think I just may have added 20 extra ponies with those mods. Whadda think? :cool:

Dave,

That sounds real promising. Personally I could give a rats a$$ about cornering. I want it to stay reasonably flat but, truth is, I have no intention of taking this beast onto a road course anyway. I just wanna go fast in a straight line and do so with a reasonable amount of comfort. And right now, on a semi-rough road, this baby ain't comfortable. :uhoh:

Hi ya’ Lee! :seeya: I talked to tg18 on Sunday and told him I decided to go with a billet bowtie instead. The red bowtie is going to look really cool. :thumbs:

BTW I think a few of us are going to meet up at the Scottsdale pavilions this weekend (I’ll be there for sure) Are you game?

Dave,

That sounds real promising. Personally I could give a rats a$$ about cornering. I want it to stay reasonably flat but, truth is, I have no intention of taking this beast onto a road course anyway. I just wanna go fast in a straight line and do so with a reasonable amount of comfort. And right now, on a semi-rough road, this baby ain't comfortable. :uhoh:

Yeah, I like straight line performance best, too. But it is fun passing a Mercedes on a two lane clover leaf ramp, and then punching it as things straighten out, leaving him wondering what is wrong with his car :D

And right now, on a semi-rough road, this baby ain't comfortable.

Lee:

Those 40 series tires you have sound like they are really rough riding. :eek: You don’t have much choice though do you, considering your sportin’ 22’s :thumbs:

I am considering selling the 20’s that I have and going to 22’s as well instead of lowering, to fill the wheel well with more chrome. :cool:

Darric,

That's an unusual spelling for your name. :cool:

As far as this weekend I'm going to have to pass, bro............even with that delightful offer of cold BEER. :D That trip I was supposed to have made two or three weeks ago to get my better half got delayed and delayed and delayed. It's been a nightmare. Anyway, I'm finally [he says with crossed fingers] going to make that run Wed. night and bring her back Thurs or Friday. So, this weekend will be spent in............................well, you know. :crazy: I'll take a rain-check for the get together, though. Cool?

Re: 22" tires being the cause of the harsh ride. I don't think so Darric. I had the factory rubber on there for two or three days before getting the aftermarket wheels and tires. I really did not notice any appreciable change in the ride after getting the new rubber. This setup is really great on normal roads with slight imperfections. It's just the type of roads that Dave was describing that I disliked also and that is caused by GM's choice of shocks etc. I hope that Velvet Ride thingy helps as I'll get a set in a heart beat. :flag:

Archived