Velvet Ride Shackles

dcairns

Anyone tried these on the SS (or another Silverado, for that matter)? How much do they drop the rear? Their FAQs say it could drop form 1/2 to 2 inches. Do they really help with the expansion joint bouncing?

LORD Corp

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never used them, but seen them advertised before. Have you tried asking the same question over on some of the other GM forums? Somebody had to have used them on one of the other truck sites, if not here.

Never heard of them. I had a extended shackle on my 92 Extended cab 2 wheel drive and it rode very smooth. I think that they were belltech because it had belltech spindles on front to drop.

Never used them, but seen them advertised before.  Have you tried asking the same question over on some of the other GM forums?  Somebody had to have used them on one of the other truck sites, if not here.

Actually, that is where I heard of them, over at GM-Trucks.com. Those that have them, seem to like them. I was just wondering if anyone here had any direct experience. Particularly on the issue of how much they lower the rear.

GM-

Trucks.com

dcairns, This is from their web site :

Will VELVET-RIDE Shackles lower my vehicle?

It is normal for some vehicles to drop between 1/2" - 2". This is caused by the tension of the spring. If the vehicle height is a problem, you may want to consider a lift kit to increase the vehicle height.

It looks like there are 2 different hole to use on the shackle so you can drop a little or a little more.

Yes, I saw the faq there on their website. What concerned me was the range of drop they mention. I could handle a 1/2 inch drop, but 2 inches might be more than I want and might exceed what the torsion bars in front could be adjusted for, order to level it out. It looks like the drop varies with the springs used in the rear, so Silverado 4x4 trucks may see more or less drop than we would. I guess I could try them and at the worst, add a lift to the rear to "un-do" the drop :D. But if it is mild, I think I might like the drop.

dcairns, when will you get the shackles and install them? I was thinking of ordering them but at 4 times the price of normal shackles, I'm not so sure. They'd have to give a really good ride. I want to do it next weekend when I put on the flex-a-lites.

I put the Velvet Ride shackles on today. Turned out to be a bit more of a job than I thought. You have to remove the trailer hitch, all 8 bolts of it, just so you can get the shackle bolts out. :fume: And it takes some fancy work with the floor jack to get the turck lifted just enough to release the tension on the leaf spring, but not so much that you have the weight of the wheel pulling down on things. Even then you have to "unscrew" the bolts out of the old shackles.

I will post my impression of the ride on Monday. I travel over a problem bit of freeway every day on my way to work, so that will offer a good comparison.

Since the SS already has a kind of "drop shackle" on it, the ride height seems to have changed little. A quick before and after measurement shows 1/8 inch on one side and 7/16 on the other. So it looks like 1/2 inch max drop from adding these.

They really shipped those things out fast didn't they?  How long did the install actually take? 

The wife still in the dark about your new toys? :D

I went JDM to pick up my rear window slider and ordered the sway bar and the Velvet Ride shackles. As they were doing the paper work, they discovered they had a pair in stock. They were $190, which is a bit high, but no shipping, so I got them.

The wife saw me installing them and said, " I thought this was a new truck, it shouldn't be breaking already" and I had to explain the "need to improve things" that guys have. :D

The wife saw me installing them and said, " I thought this was a new truck, it shouldn't be breaking already" and I had to explain the "need to improve things" that guys have. :D

Y'all don't even want to know the noise I heard :nono: when I installed my:

1) Bridgestone Revos

2) Velvet Ride Shackles

3) XM Satellite add-on

4) Bedrug

(new truck smell still on the inside)

And then went through two feet deep mud roads on an all day Saturday mud-hawg fest, all when the truck had less than 1000 miles on it. :crazy:

Ears are still ringing half a year later, but gosh, it was fun. :flag:

Archived