Magnacharger Article in Popular Hotrodding

Anyone who is thinking about a Magnacharger would probably find this Popular Hotrodding article interesting. The article is not specific to the SS and rather light on technical details, but it shows some interesting pictures of the insides of the blower. I don't know why they don't have these pictures on the Magnacharger website, it is the kind of stuff prospective buyers love to drool over :D.

Of course, if I want to drool, I can just go pop the hood on my SS :jester:

Popular Hotrodding

Of course, if I want to drool, I can just go pop the hood on my SS

I'm gonna send you a bib for your B-day, Dave. Nothing I hate more than a grown man with dribble all over his shirt. :cool:

Thanks for the link, by the way. I have to go change my shirt now after looking at that article. :crazy:

1) How much did it cost you in total? $6000

2) Did you install it yourself? No, had an experienced installer, recommended by Magnacharger do the honors. I kinda wished I had done it, though.

3) How do you like it? :D:D:D:D:D:D

Pluses-

-I have posted a lot here about my experience with the Magnacharger. The short answer is 13.92@93mph. And still room to do better :D

-I love the way is shifts the power down to lower RPMs. Makes the acceleration seem effortless.

-Seems to retain power in the heat, at least for one punch.

-Looks real cool. :cool:

-Gets some startled looks when I make a WOT passing maneuver, ricers tend loose their aggression and drift away after they hear the blower whine. :eek:

Minuses-

-Whistling sound when the bypass valve closes. Can be annoying if you need to drive in that throttle position for very long.

-Needs a bigger heat exchanger to cope with quickly repeated hard launches (stop light to stop light kinda stuff).

-Slight stumbling coming off an idle when the engine is cold.

-Throttle seems sensitive. Hard to accelerate in a moderate way. I can manage a slow acceleration and of course fast is easy, but getting a more comfortable moderate acceleration eludes me. I felt this way, to a lesser degree with the stock motor, so this may be my foot's training. My old S-10 had gearing that was not optimal, so I was used to flooring it all the time, and not using any finesse.

-Gas mileage has gone down about 1mpg overall. It all depends on how lead footed I am, it can go pretty low with alot of stop and start hard launching kind of driving. It still retains the stock highway mpg.

C'mon Lee, do the supercharger thing! Everyone else is doing it

Schklege,

Decisions, decisions. :rolleyes: I mean, it's ONLY money for Gods sakes. What am I worried about????? :D

That's the ticket! :D:thumbs:

dcairns has covered it well.

I had mine installed by Lingenfelter Performance Engineering in Decatur, IN. Paid about $8400.00 total, which included the scharger and Yank torque converter.

This truck absolutely leaps off the line now.

Archived