• 3 months later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is how I did it,

I wanted to make sure I had as much of the tab "hooking" as possible.

Tips:

-To prevent from seat damage I used a sawzall, and cut 1/2 way through, then bent the Tab off.

-I then used a small grinder to smooth the edge

-I ended up having to cut about 1/4 - 3/8 inches past the "rise" in the metal "as shown in the last picture"

Pictures of Seat Mod

Hope this works out for you all! :D

• 1 year later...

This topic/thread is old but, its still a pretty sweet & simple mod! I'm adding a couple pics since I did this earlier today. I did this on a 2001 Sierra I just bought and am making my summer project!

I took the seat out which, like previously mentioned, was pretty simple. Once all the nuts are out, you pull upwards and it slides right out. I used a Dremel with a Heavy-Duty cut-off wheel which worked out really well (Better than I'd hoped.). I cut just below that second hole on the tabs. I used electrical tape as a guide to keep the line straight.

v0X3J.jpg

FLd6S.jpg

Just so you get a better idea of the thickness you're dealing with, here's a pic of the cut tend of the tab, compared to a US nickel....

rTxqd.jpg

Now off to clean up behind the seats and make it nice!!............

I took a different approach to this mod. My seat is lifted 2" and moved forward 2 1/2" by the square stock I had to cut and match the angles of how the hook was originally sitting. Was able to position the hook so no cutting was necessary. Used Fusor industrial strenth epoxy to seal the deal and one bolt on the top of the hook for shits and giggles. Finished it off will black paint and caps fon the square stock. This took a bit of time and measurements but looks clean and serves the purpose. Now I have to get creative and motorize the back seat to fold down.

post-3906-033735300 1307188436_thumb.jpg

post-3906-099514100 1307188626_thumb.jpg

post-3906-088908600 1307188631_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

Since I had to pull the back seat to fix a seatbelt retractor, I decided to implement this trick. It worked out great. I had some gray carpet to cover the back of the cab. It all looks great and function fine.

Next step will be to place some more carpet on the back of the seat back to protect the OEM covering and cover the hinges. And exposed hardware. Once this is done I can fold down the seat back and load my 4 dogs in back and go cruise! Hey, it's thos little pleasures.

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Bumping this thread so we can get new pics added of everyone's process and outcome. Photo bucket sucks and most the pics in here were gone and I noticed we got a few showing back up now. Some good looking setups! I have my interior all out for sound deadening and a full detail/interior restore well I do the headliner so will be doing this in next week or so. I'll get some good pics well I'm at it also. Hope it helps some people.

Also... why is there so many people with there seats raised a few inches or even forward a few? Is it just to clear larger sound systems under the seat as the sole purpose? Never really heard about raising rear seat for anything else anywhere. Just curious.

• 2 weeks later...

So this might be a stupid question but didn't GM make an easy way such as a latch or something to pull the seat forward? My 97' Silverado had one, I am just wondering because when i bought my SS, guy told me that it had JL slash audio amps so I'm wondering if whoever did the install had to remove the whole assembly to get the amps back there then bolt it back on?

Archived