4L80e + NVG149 Kit for Silverado SS's

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off I dont really care what u think the problem is. I think I really would like to do the swap. $5k, let me remind u 6 transmissions. I don't need a different transmission builder when my truck breaks the custom chrome-moly shaft into. My truck has a level 5 Rock-On Transmission in it. This thing makes unbelievable amounts of power and torque. I would be very interested in the swap. I can put the stuff in my self. The crossmember is not an issue. The trans can be found in a junkyard and then have someone go though it. Cant u build an adapter that has the right size collars on each end to fit the right splines? Could u use the driveshafts out of a 2500hd? I am not tring to be rude, but I think I am more than able to pay for the stuff. I dont have a blower r anything, but with the stuff I have done to the truck, it is fassstt. I think I got one of those GM vechiles that is just fast from the factory.

First off I dont really care what u think the problem is. I think I really would like to do the swap. $5k, let me remind u 6 transmissions. I don't need a different transmission builder when my truck breaks the custom chrome-moly shaft into. My truck has a level 5 Rock-On Transmission in it. This thing makes unbelievable amounts of power and torque. I would be very interested in the swap. I can put the stuff in my self. The crossmember is not an issue. The trans can be found in a junkyard and then have someone go though it. Cant u build an adapter that has the right size collars on each end to fit the right splines? Could u use the driveshafts out of a 2500hd? I am not tring to be rude, but I think I am more than able to pay for the stuff. I dont have a blower r anything, but with the stuff I have done to the truck, it is fassstt. I think I got one of those GM vechiles that is just fast from the factory.

You really should list what you have done. There are people here with plenty of power that have breached the limits of the tranny, and could use stronger. You claim to have no FI yet have ruined 6 trannys? Do you have a 427? or a c5r build up?

First off I dont really care what u think the problem is. ......... I am not tring to be rude, but I think I am more than able to pay for the stuff. I dont have a blower r anything, but with the stuff I have done to the truck, it is fassstt. I think I got one of those GM vechiles that is just fast from the factory.

Changing your tone will get better responses. I think the guy you are responding to here, although not sure, is the most knowledgable about trannys. I guess you can make your own decisions though.

I would like to hear what you have done to your truck. Unless you are making some serious power, ie modded heavily, I just don't see how you're breaking them. Not saying you're not - just don't see what the cause could be. Telling us what you have will help others understand at least.

How hard do you beat on it? Trannys are similar to clutches. The harder you ride it, the less time they last. What kind of fluid do you run? Do you have a tranny cooler? What kind of temps do you see? Do you manual shift, or let it do the work? Do you have a shift kit? Billet servos? Had any tuning done? Moved your shift points with a handheld? Just to get an understanding.

Please explain what u mean by no FI yet? Ok here is a list of what has been done-Airaid cold air intake,Grantelli Mass Airflow, Coolent bypass mode, Airaid TB spacer, Shaner S3 Ported TB, Lingenfelter GT2-3 Camshaft, Comp Cams 918 springs, B&M Trans cooler, TCI 3000 stall, Rock-On level 5 tranny, LS1 edit software, Gibson headers, JBA wires, QTEC dumps, Flowmasters, Ground force suspension, 265/50/20 Toyo Proxes. Like I said I am not tring to get anyone mad, but I dont like it when someone says I could not justify the cost of the swap. It is obvious the trans are the weak part of these trucks. Maybe that is why GM went back to just rear-wheel drive.

Forced Induction = FI

Also the 4L80E isn't needed at your power level IMHO, but if you plan on more modifications it might be worth while. Your programming with LS1 Edit is capable of toasting a perfectly built tranny in short order too...

Man I am telling u this truck is super fast. LIke I said I think I got one of those faster than stock GM trucks. I have seen cars come off the assembly line just fast than others. This LS1 edit has 1st gear shifting real long and hard. I think that might be part of the problem. The trany is really built. It has all the goodies in it. This last time it broke the shaft into. With part of it still in the planatry gears, the bands were burnt, and the rear drum would not even come out. I had to get a whole new case.

Do you happen to live in Cali? Is your 04 SS red? Did you buy it used? If it is used and from cali. does the plate read 6LTRSS? If it does run like hell!!! :crackup: You are not pushing enough power to have a problem unless you have an issue with programming. I had installed a shift kit and increased the pressure quite a bit in my old 04 SS and it went through 4 transmissions before I gave up on it and traded it in. I would bet the issue was the increased line pressure. The first trans snapped the inputshaft in two and the trans wasn't even able to be disassembled. the second trans spun the sprag which shattered it into many many pieces. The third blew up on the trans tech. the fourth blew the servo out the side of the trans.

No,no,and no. Is there a way to decrease the line pressure without getting it retuned? I work on cars for a living just not transmissions. I have a Matco 2006 scanner and I have not checked to see if I can change anything. Is there something I can look for in the trans computer and tell yall what the pressure is at? I really dont want to buy another 60 trans. Thats why I am interested in the swap.

With just a cam, muffler, shorty headers (gibsons are shorties, right?), and tuning I would be super surprised if you are at 380hp, much less 450hp, providing you have used LS1edit to up the power. If you think your truck is "super fast" somebody needs to take you for a ride - Adam?? - if he is in Cali.

If you have LS1 edit, why don't you put up what are in your tables? Maybe those with tranny tuning exp. could give you a hand.

Your power levels certainly aren't killing them.

No,no,and no. Is there a way to decrease the line pressure without getting it retuned? I work on cars for a living just not transmissions. I have a Matco 2006 scanner and I have not checked to see if I can change anything. Is there something I can look for in the trans computer and tell yall what the pressure is at? I really dont want to buy another 60 trans. Thats why I am interested in the swap.

Well you stated you have LS1 edit did you not? If not then someone else tuned it and you should have it retuned.

With just a cam, muffler, shorty headers (gibsons are shorties, right?), and tuning I would be super surprised if you are at 380hp, much less 450hp, providing you have used LS1edit to up the power.  If you think your truck is "super fast" somebody needs to take you for a ride - Adam?? - if he is in Cali.

If you have LS1 edit, why don't you put up what are in your tables?  Maybe those with tranny tuning exp. could give you a hand. 

Your power levels certainly aren't killing them.

:withstupid: Lets see the trans tables. Although I think he's bluffing I don't think he has LS1 Edit otherwise he would or should already know he could just go back and change the settings.

Archived