4L80e + NVG149 Kit for Silverado SS's

I am still here, seriously thinking of your offer.

I have 1 of the pieces I think figured out, but to test woudl require I pull apart a transfer case. I would hate to do that to someone elses case.

Also by time I pay shipping both ways, might be just as cheap to find used one I can pull apart and not worry about messing something up of someone elses.

Still debating best way to proceed.

If someone had a broken case, that would be perfect. I suspect, and somewhat hope these cases can't be broken though.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my question is who's going to handle the wiring and trans calibration?

As previously mentioned, its going to require a custom tune if you intend to run the stock PCM. Theres a thread over on www.efilive.com about using a 6.0L tune for a HD's... U can import your 'tune' file to the pcm after its been reflashed with a 6.0L/4L80e setup. (chances are, you already have some sort of tuning software if you are considering this swap anyhow.)

As far as wiring is concerned, www.speartech.com has a 60e --> 80e adapter available that takes all the headache out of that part of the swap..

I will reiterate that there is alot to this swap, and its not going to be for the average guy doing the average build.. Its going to be for the all out race setup and the guy thats tired of dropping the transmission when he's making serious power and trying to put it down.

• 2 months later...

Thought I would update everybody.

I missed the ebay deal above that was mentioned. :(

I did finally get a transfer case in this week. Already got the wheels turning on how to do the adaptor.

This project might be easier than I thought actually.

Does anybody have a picture of the stock SS front driveline? The Syty case has a flange, where as this 149 is splined. I assume it slides just like the rear does, but a picture would help me confirm.

I will keep you guys updated.

I missed the ebay deal above that was mentioned.  :(

I did finally get a transfer case in this week.  Already got the wheels turning on how to do the adaptor.

Does anybody have a picture of the stock SS front driveline?  The Syty case has a flange, where as this 149 is splined.  I assume it slides just like the rear does, but a picture would help me confirm.

awesome can't wait!!!

I missed the ebay deal above that was mentioned.  :(

I did finally get a transfer case in this week.  Already got the wheels turning on how to do the adaptor.

Does anybody have a picture of the stock SS front driveline?  The Syty case has a flange, where as this 149 is splined.  I assume it slides just like the rear does, but a picture would help me confirm.

it is splined. sorry I dont have pictures. Zippy might have some.

If this could work it would change my whole plan.

I won't claim to be an expert on the ls1 computers. I have heard there is a update you can do to run 80e but I can't confirm that with a website.

I have been using a 95 gm ecm to control ours, but TCI also makes a nice stand alone tranny controller.

I will see what I can find out about it though.

I won't claim to be an expert on the ls1 computers. I have heard there is a update you can do to run 80e but I can't confirm that with a website.

I have been using a 95 gm ecm to control ours, but TCI also makes a nice stand alone tranny controller.

I have talk with Zippy a lot on this issue because I almost had one of these shafts from W2W through another source and the problem doesn't lie programming the PCM for the trans because that is the easy part. The problem is the t-case has a speed sensor of sorts and the calibration for the sensor in the t-case doesn't work with the calibration for the 80e. Zippy told me it was preventing the trans from shifting. Aparently they got the programming issue sorted out. I saw the truck on power tour it's pretty bad ass!

I have talk with Zippy a lot on this issue because I almost had one of these shafts from W2W through another source and the problem doesn't lie programming the PCM for the trans because that is the easy part. The problem is the t-case has a speed sensor of sorts and the calibration for the sensor in the t-case doesn't work with the calibration for the 80e. Zippy told me it was preventing the trans from shifting. Aparently they got the programming issue sorted out. I saw the truck on power tour it's pretty bad ass!

From the little info you mentioned I had same issue when doing the syclone/typhoon conversion. I think I know how to get around that but would need more information on the exact problem. As in is it a pulse per mile issue and not being enough pulses?

Tonight I just finished the mockup/prototype of the adaptors needed. Everything lines up perfectly. Actually it came out very slick.

I am now looking for a prototype truck in order to build a crossmember and the related bits external to transmission.

If soemone is interested in in the Louisville area or doesn't mind driving there or having truck dropped off send me an email.

[email protected]

Who ever volunteers will get a sweet deal and I will make it worth their time.

Archived