4L80e + NVG149 Kit for Silverado SS's

Ok I need to ask, could u take a 4l80e make an adapter plate that goes between the trans and the all wheel transfer case and weld a plate off the stock crossmember and brace it. I saw the crossmember done already. Now would u have to get a longer front driveshaft and a shorter rear, or would the stock one out of the ss work? I just got my 4l60 rebuilt for the 6th time, yes I said 6th time(3 stock trans and 3 racing trans from rock one) I would reallllllllly like to do the swap. I am willing to give my truck for mock up. I would like a deal or free parts for the first mockup truck being done. Let me no what u think. later,Ross

Wow, 6 tranny's. What mods?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok I need to ask, could u take a 4l80e make an adapter plate that goes between the trans and the all wheel transfer case and weld a plate off the stock crossmember and brace it. I saw the crossmember done already. Now would u have to get a longer front driveshaft and a shorter rear, or would the stock one out of the ss work? I just got my 4l60 rebuilt for the 6th time, yes I said 6th time(3 stock trans and 3 racing trans from rock one) I would reallllllllly like to do the swap. I am willing to give my truck for mock up. I would like a deal or free parts for the first mockup truck being done. Let me no what u think. later,Ross

The issue isn't bolting the t-case to the trans any 4x4 adapter will get that job done. The issue lies with the input into the t-case since the 4l65e has a smaller spline count than the 4l80e they will not mate up. The adapter is a new input shaft for the t-case. W2W makes them or so I have heard. Just to think I almost had one of the original parts from NVG which aren't sold to just anyone, I should have gotten it and reproduced them, but I got rid of the truck right before it was offered to me.

The issue isn't bolting the t-case to the trans any 4x4 adapter will get that job done. The issue lies with the input into the t-case since the 4l65e has a smaller spline count than the 4l80e they will not mate up. The adapter is a new input shaft for the t-case. W2W makes them or so I have heard. Just to think I almost had one of the original parts from NVG which aren't sold to just anyone, I should have gotten it and reproduced them, but I got rid of the truck right before it was offered to me.

Isn't it sad how W2W hasn't posted anything about how they did it, in what, a year now?

:withstupid:

You would think they would want to make some $ off of it. :dunno:

They're willing to do the swap if you bring them the truck. They however aren't going to make a kit of it since they aren't into selling parts. About as close to selling parts as they get are blowers, Big Stuff 3, and crate engines. There are many issue's as to why this kit isn't available. One being the cost. By the time all is done and installed you'd pretty easily eat up all of 4500-5500 just in parts alone depending on how expensive the trans and converter are. This would also include having your driveshafts modified, not buying new one's. To make this a self install kit it would have to include the transfercase input shaft, custom trans crossmember, transmission wiring harness, both front and rear driveshafts, transmission to transfercase adapter, programmed pcm, and a full set of instructions including how to wire the trans. Consider now what a kit like that would cost to sell and that wouldn't even include the price of the transmission. Add in a 4L80/85E with a stock or mild build for 2500 (3500 for a race prep type) and another 1000 for a good torque converter. Many people want the 4L80E, but simply can't afford it as a swap when it comes down to it. For those that have the extra 5500 or so laying around for a 4L80E conversion shouldn't have any problem bringing their truck in to just have it done. To top it off most of the people that have posted interest in it haven't exceeded the limit's of the 65E yet. It's simply a case of "I want it no matter the cost... Wait, how much did you say that'd run???...

I could give a crap about a "kit" personally. I can piece everything I need together from other places for everything but one piece, the one they have, is readily available. They know as well as everyone on this site they have the only piece out there to make the other $5000 worth of stuff to work. They would sell a hundred of those things by themselves. Even if it was going to be offered in a kit, I don't think that price to put it all together has been hampering anything. Even if they weren't into selling parts, you would think since they knew they had "THE" part to be able to do the swap they would offer it because they know it would help many out on here.

I mean look at what WCCH is doing for the Radix guys. Slightly different, but even WCCH is probably not into doing what they did. They found something that everyone "needed" to make the 90mmtb work on a Radix and now offer it. Even if WCCH did do things like that, they at least have the "appearance" of helping the community that they have found a niche in. NOT coming on here and saying looky what I got and never hearing anything from them on the subject again. W2W is not out to help anyone in this particular community out. Although, they have some pretty nice stuff that may be available for our truck.

Based on what WCCH has done to help the community in other things they need, many are more apt to do business with them in the future because they know they are there to help them in "anything" they need. If W2W were to do the same, they would have a much larger fan base, if you could call it that, and people would want to do more business with them in the future. Including me.

All these guys love W2W on here, but name one thing they have done to help any of them out in getting what they want out of their trucks. I haven't noticed anything yet.

I certainly don't question whether or not they are here to help anyone specificly. The part that Kurt got for his transfercase isn't readily available. If they called and said that they wanted 100 of them I'm sure they could probably get them, but they would just sit on the shelf. Keep in mind that buying that part still means that you have to spend the 5K to do the swap. If that part were readily available how many on here do you think would be able to afford to do the 80E swap verses how many would talk about wanting to do the swap. The other issue is who's going to program it? If you recall that alone kept Kurt's truck collecting dust for a bit and conversions are what they are into. Why doesn't someone else call New Venture gear and get the part? I'm sure W2W isn't their only contact in the US.

I don't see where they have been here to help anyone - you'll have to point me to that info. Provided good eye candy, for sure. I recall in the beginning W2W wouldn't say who made the part for them. When did they disclose where it came from? If they at least did that, then I have no beef with W2W and would have never posted anything against them. New Venture made it for them?

Knowing the 80E was an option would make those going for more power more at ease in how long their drivetrains would last. Pushing it until it broke then going for the "nearly" impossible to break would be the only way to go. As it is, when it breaks you end up putting the same thing back in. Even built 60s won't last for very long periods under hard running. Nobody would want to go the 80E for cost, but many of those that have already built 60s would have instead - me included. If the part was available but you still needed another $5k, then so be it, at least that $5k would have something to go towards - not that there is not plenty to spend $5k on otherwise. As it is now, you could have a $50k, but if the part is not available, what difference does it make?

As far as the programming goes, how difficult would it be? The tables are the same. Change all the gear ratios and have at it. I'd be willing to try it.

Well I did get a return e-mail tonight. They put a halt to the project for a couple of reasons. 1 Price of the kit should they make one, and people only wanting to peice together a kit to nickel and dime it for what it's worth. 2 Nobody local willing to be a test mule. I myself would have but I offered to late, the project was killed.

You need to find another Tranny Builder some of us have had pretty good luck with some fairly strong motors.... Ben did his own "I think" with a 408 and its held up as far as I know

:chevy: I'd rather bolt in a Allison if I were going to that much trouble..

I've talked to Kurt at W2W a couple of times about the adaptor and getting them made. They have ZERO interest in making them. The adaptor in Kurts truck was a prototype gear from NVG. Only way to get this gear made is to find a machine shop that can make it.

Like it was stated it was a prototype part that NVG made and there are more than one out there. But feel free to call NVG I have called them and gotten a part # from them I couldn't tellyou what it is off hand and it doesn't really matter because they will tell you that part # is still in the computer but the part is no longer available because there was never an application that it was ever used in. Now I have talked with another guy in Michigan who was also able to get the part from NVG along with W2W being able to get the part. Probably the only two places in the world with the connections to get that part. If I remember right the guy who I spoke to built the 80e that is in Kurts truck and he told me that he has a hard time getting the shafts from NVG because they are about to stop making them all together.

EDIT: My guess for the reason that W2W won't make the shafts is because it may piss off any connection they may have with NVG. I was told by the guy who I was gonna get it from that I was to never mention any names as to where I recieved it from because he doesn't wanna lose his connection with NVG.

I know that the transfer cases are different between between our and an 80E truck. I have been in touch with a guy who rebuilds transfer cases and he says that the input gear of an 80E truck's TC (31-spline) can be swapped out with a TC of our truck. He says the part cost a little more, that's all.

So, assuming that is true. Refresh my memory what all has to be done with the shafts........I don't care to read over the 8million posts on this subject again. Everything else is readily available.

Archived