Antenna Delete

PadronCubans

You can remove your antenna from its position and run it along the inside of the quarter panel under the hood. I still have reception too!

Antenna mount, just unbolt it from there:

Image8883.jpg

Run it alongside the quarter panel, underneath that lip the hood sits on... Secure with black zip ties:

d9d09aea.jpg

Image0207.jpg

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really didnt tell a difference, one station cuts out sometimes but i never listen to it.... and i also have xm & cd so i usually dont listen to radio. To cover that hole were the atenna use to be i used one of black push fasteners(the things they use from the factory to clip parts together) , cut it up a lil to for to the hole... secured it with lots of electrical tape :-) you cant see it.

I just read this post this morning and immediately went outside and did this. I did add one thing though- the antenna base counts on having a ground by being bolted down, so I just ran a small 16 guage wire about 4.5 inches long with a ring terminal on each end and used a small nut/bolt to fasten it to the antenna base, then just reused one of the original screws on the other end, and that completes the ground path! Mine lost absolutely no reception! I definitely suggest using solder on connectors and shrink tubing over the connections, because they are going to get wet, and regular crimp connectors will corrode over time.

Interesting idea. I have been thinking of taking my antenna off, but the nagging possibility that I might have to tune into a traffic station or something keeps me from it. This would give me both :D I am sure you lose a fair amount of reception, but might not notice in urban areas where the signals are stong.

Unfortunately I can't loose the antenna. I use it quite often as a height watcher, when driving in parking garages, who are just about 2 meters heigh.

As the antenna is the highest part of the car; when it thoughes something; I'll now I can't continue...

P.

Why would you want to have a plastic plug cover the hole though? I would think the right way (spelled expensive) would be to have the hole filled and painted. I would think it would take away from the custom aspect of doing a mod. Just my opinion; not trying to start a fight here.

Why would you want to have a plastic plug cover the hole though?  I would think the right way (spelled expensive) would be to have the hole filled and painted.  I would think it would take away from the custom aspect of doing a mod.  Just my opinion; not trying to start a fight here.

All depends how 'involved' you want to get with it; I left mine as-is. But you are right you could do like the custom car stereo guys and fiberglass it over, bondo, sand, paint with textured finish, and then re-dye... There might be an eBay market for someone handy and willing to do/sell a few...

Edit - AWESOME idea PadronCubans, you live around DFW area, right?

Why would you want to have a plastic plug cover the hole though?  I would think the right way (spelled expensive) would be to have the hole filled and painted.  I would think it would take away from the custom aspect of doing a mod.  Just my opinion; not trying to start a fight here.

Definitely a cleaner way to do it... but what is a small hole compared to the entire antenna. I read this thread this afternoon and immediately did mine. Ran the ground back to the original bolt and the radio works great. So much cleaner, just wish I didn't have the XM and Onstar antennas...

Archived