SC Question

I think I found the article you are talking about:

http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/articl...ewed/page_1.htm

If you don't want to read the whole thing look at the last page!

http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/articl...wed/page_11.htm

They are talking about how they changed the blower to a Kenne Bell (Whipple like) screw compressor and ran 21.6 psi !!! making 522 RWHP 600 lbs of torque. And how the intercooler is taking the air temp down from 320 after compressing to 106 for the engine to breath in. And that is supposed to be the stock intercooler doing that! It sounds like there is a lot of development work going on for the Lightning. I wonder if Whipple and others are up to the challenge to get more out of the 6.0? An intercooler should be on Whipples R&D list !!!! Or maybe Kenne Bell can step in and try his hand at GM moters for a while, if Whipple isn't up to it.

It also seems Chevy did us a disservice by choosing the higher output 6.0 (with it's problematic high compression ratio) which makes it more difficult to pull some of these tricks. I wonder if some extra thick head gaskets would help :)

In any event, it sure is impressive what they are wringing out of the Lightnings! If they wern't so ugly, I might consider jumping ship :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used to have a 1962 BubbleTop Bel-Air with a Vette 454 and a 4-speed. I liked the way it looked, just like I like the way your '64 Impala looks. :)

I also really like the way my '01 Lightning looks. :D

PS, they are running in the 10's currently...... and that is almost at full weight. :D

It would be nice if GM would go the supercharged route. You get alot of neat supporting hardware when they do this. Like efficient factory intercoolers (with their own seperate reservoir and pump) and hefty fuel systems....... and a stout rear axle (semi-floating 9.75" in the L). Also, the engine is then built for boost, meaning low compression and better internals.

However, I have personally been witness to the fact that 99% of Vette owners I have seen can't drive either........ and most of them wouldn't even dare try.

Well, this is one that can. I know many vette guys that drive better than most. There are vettes that run 10's and lower also, I am not saying that the Mustang can't run there. I am saying the average guy at the track can't make a stock Cobra run 12's.

There are pros that can make a stock Z06 run high 11's, but the avg Joe can't do that. Go to CorvetteForum.coms kill section and read all the Cobra kills.

• 1 month later...

I am really torn over this whole thing yes I think Ford has it over Chevy right now then it is the old school stuff vs the new technology both have there benefits, the new stuff is very expensive 25,000 plus for any high performance vehicle were as for 5 or 6 grand what I have put into my street-strip car it will run low 12s on the motor and 11s with a small shot of NOS. We are going to race tonight at LACR, tonight we are running the GTP the supercharged Pontiac V-6, we put a new throttle body on last night we should pick up a couple of tenths. Best run for this car was 13.98 last weekend with the alt correction about a mid 13, we will run this car at sea level later this month. With this car we change the blower pulley from a 3.8 Dia to a 2.9 and get over 12 lbs of Boost out of her, no internal changes have been to this combo. We are also running a turbo charged 3000GT last time out ran a 13.2 at 110 mph with its new changes we are hoping for a 12 tonight now we get into the imports vs American stuff. We have added many new types of cars to our group and I get behind all of them, they are all fun to watch and racing is still racing no matter what you run. So over the past few years I have had to relook at this whole scene and I now have a different view on this subject. It seems to me extreme 4x4 has both fords and chevys and sees the best qualities of both it sounds Like he is ahead of me in dealing with all the new changes, maybe we should start a self help group---LOL

Archived