HOW-TO: Replacing Your Thermostat

misterp

Well i tried to follow Mr.P's how to and it was a fail for me. I went under my truck look at both side and didnt find the little valve release screwconfused.gif. So after i came back from the auto shop i look at the how to again then i saw some of the other guys had the same issue. I had to go the redneck way and take off my tstat to do both jobs. I replaced the Tstat took me about an hour to do the over head creeper helped out alot since i didnt remove my CAI and i would suggest to use it to for those of you putting on LT headers.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...I went under my truck look at both side and didnt find the little valve release screw...

Yes - for those who have not read the first couple pages of this How-To, it was discussed that on 2004+ trucks GM got cheap and did not install a petcock valve anymore on the driver's radiator tank. :shakehead: If your radiator does not have a petcock valve then screw-it, you have no choice but to unbolt the thermostat housing and drain the system that way! Git-r-dun! :smash:

Mr. P. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this because the question of whether an '03 thermostat could be converted to an '04+ thermostat wasnt answered. Does anyone know if this is possible? It would be handy in the case of changing to different stats in the future because you wouldnt need to purchase the entire housing as well...anyone?

• 2 years later...

so i installed the slp 160 thermostat and my mpg went down big time was wondering if i should change back to stock or will a tune help this out thanks joe

Copied from the first page of this thread... Read part in RED !!!

Installing a colder thermostat is an easy performance-minded modification for your engine. The reason for installing a colder thermostat is to safely allow more ignition advance in the Powertrain Control Module's (PCM) programming. A cooler running engine can safely use more ignition advance; by installing an aftermarket 160-degree thermostat the engine cylinder heads run cooler, and this in turn will reduce the tendency for detonation and allow you to safely reprogram your vehicle's PCM to add more spark advance. With more advance you will see a more efficient engine: more power, crisper throttle response, and better mileage.

"On the other hand - installing a colder thermostat by itself *without* reprogramming your PCM will make the engine loose efficiency. It is common for vehicles to suffer a 1-2 mpg drop in highway mileage using a colder aftermarket thermostat with the factory PCM tune."

Replacing a thermostat is a very good learning experience if you have never worked on a vehicle before, no auto repair training is required to follow this How-To guide. If you can loosen and tighten a bolt and have access to a couple common tools you can do this. Before you begin you will need a replacement thermostat, a flat-head screwdriver, a 10mm socket wrench, pliers, catch pans or buckets (some shade-tree mechanics forgo the catch pans), a funnel if you are clumbsy biggrin.png and 2 gallons of new Dex-Cool anti-freeze from the parts store (you will be draining and refilling the cooling system); THE COOLANT MUST BE DEX-COOL (ORANGE), if you mix ordinary (green) anti-freeze with Dex-Cool (orange) you will DESTROY your cooling system.

WARNING - anti-freeze is a potentially lethal chemical, do not drink it. With its sweet smell, sweet taste, and bright color it may attract your pets or children; do not let them drink it. Ingesting anti-freeze is a serious medical accident - call poison control immediately.

This will take 30 to 90 minutes, depending on your experience; let's begin!

Hope this helps !!!

• 5 months later...

The only way I've changed my anti freeze is by having it flushed. My 2003 SS doesn't have a drain petcock on the radiator as you stated in this how to.... Most are on the drivers side lower engine side of the radiator... where exactly are you saying they are on our trucks? I've looked high and low... No drain...! I know I could remove the lower radiator hose... but that's just a mess and so dang hard to get to on a 4 wheel drive!

• 8 months later...

PCM Tune question about the 160*... Where on efi live do I reprogram the PCM with the new thermostat? I have the clutch fan, so I don't know if it is even needed. Thanks

Archived