HOW-TO: Replacing Your Thermostat

misterp

How come it seems you can get the new thermostat from your local auto store like you can on almost every other model car? Or can you am i am wrong? Seems everyone has to oder theirs from somewhere.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How come it seems you can get the new thermostat from your local auto store like you can on almost every other model car?  Or can you am i am wrong?  Seems everyone has to oder theirs from somewhere.

Simple economics - these engines are so new that there aren't a lot of thermostat failures yet, so there's not a lot of demand for the part. And there are not enough customers wanting to install 160-degree thermostats for the chain stores to go to the hassle of stocking them; if they think they are only going to sell a couple hundred a year nation-wide they're not going to bother. On the pre-04 models I am sure the $55 price tag is a serious turn-off to the average hobbyist, too.

Mr. P. :)

Nice write up Mr.P, but you will not damage the cooling system by using green coolant all that happens is you loose the 150k life of Dex-Cool. I ran into this all the time when i worked at the dealer. I prefer using the reg green coolant, I've seen what Dex-Cool does to a cooling system. It does not last last long or work as good as they say, the S-10s and Blazer's would sludge up and look like mud in the rad. I switch my vehicles to reg coolant when do any repairs. Just a little info to pass on.

Also for anyone who wants a 160* stat all you have to do is remove your stock stat and cut 1 coil off the spring and it turns the stock stat into a 160*.

Nice write up Mr.P, but you will not damage the cooling system by using green coolant all that happens is you loose the 150k life of Dex-Cool. I ran into this all the time when i worked at the dealer. I prefer using the reg green coolant, I've seen what Dex-Cool does to a cooling system. It does not last last long or work as good as they say, the S-10s and Blazer's would sludge up and look like mud in the rad. I switch my vehicles to reg coolant when do any repairs. Just a little info to pass on.

Also for anyone who wants a 160* stat all you have to do is remove your stock stat and cut 1 coil off the spring and it turns the stock stat into a 160*.

Cool hint, I wish I knew that ahead of time, I would have saved myself $60.

And to clarify for the benefit of everyone else - I specifically mentioned to not MIX the two kinds, as you point out switching from one kind to the other is fine if you completely drain the cooling system (including the lower block if possible).

How come it seems you can get the new thermostat from your local auto store like you can on almost every other model car?  Or can you am i am wrong?  Seems everyone has to oder theirs from somewhere.

Simple economics - these engines are so new that there aren't a lot of thermostat failures yet, so there's not a lot of demand for the part. And there are not enough customers wanting to install 160-degree thermostats for the chain stores to go to the hassle of stocking them; if they think they are only going to sell a couple hundred a year nation-wide they're not going to bother. On the pre-04 models I am sure the $55 price tag is a serious turn-off to the average hobbyist, too.

I know what your saying, but thermo's for most other vehicles arent that expensive to begin with. it not exactly a hard product to make within the company's. I would think that if they were availible more at the auto parts store more people would buy them. Is it a speciffic thermostat just for the SSS? i would think that most GM 6.0's would have the same one, even some of the other engines. Oh well not really a huge problem for me or anything, i was just curious

The thermostat up to and including the 2003 year is *not* a simple device, the factory made it part of the housing (see the pic where I am holding it in my hand), the thermostat proper is not meant to be removed from its housing, it's one expensive piece. This has been redesigned for '04+, the design is back to the same as in the past 70+ years!

As far as aftermarket availability, I am not an industry insider there so I don't know... but it always takes the aftermarket 2-4 years to start stocking parts for newer vehicles, I dunno why but that's how it's always been.

oh ok, i didnt realize it was all one piece, i thought the pic was just the thermostat laying inside of the housing and you didnt take it out yet. I see now why it costs more $$$. I learn something everyday, whether i remember it is a different story.

The thermostat up to and including the 2003 year is *not* a simple device, the factory made it part of the housing (see the pic where I am holding it in my hand), the thermostat proper is not meant to be removed from its housing, it's one expensive piece.  This has been redesigned for '04+, the design is back to the same as in the past 70+ years!

As far as aftermarket availability, I am not an industry insider there so I don't know...  but it always takes the aftermarket 2-4 years to start stocking parts for newer vehicles, I dunno why but that's how it's always been.

silly that they(GM) did that. Instead of paying $20 like the 2004 SS people do we have to pay $50. I wonder what the thinking behind that stat for 2003 models?? :dunno:

I just got a 160 deg. thermostat in the mail today. I may wait until I have my PCM tuned to do the install. Great How To! I do have a question. I only have 1800 miles on my truck so do I really need to replace the coolant? I'm sure I will spill some but hopefully not that much. :)

I wouldn't think so as long as you use clean containers when you drain it.

:withstupid: The problem though is 'capturing' it, you want CLEAN coolant in your engine, any crap in it just causes problems thousands of miles later (gunk, sludge, scale). When you crack the drain valve, it runs all over everywhere, it does not drain in a clean steady stream like changing the engine oil, and in the process is contaminated with dirt that it washes off the frame & core support on it's way into your catch bucket.

nice tip!! now I'm wondering exacty what I need to do in tuning to keep my mileage.

Archived