HOW-TO: Replacing Your Thermostat

misterp

did anybody try and drill out the petcock hole and add the drain valve on the radaitor, mine too has no drian valve, what was gm thinking, cast the housing but we won't put the drain vavle in and save 10 cents. :dunno: just wondering if anybody added the drain valve and how they did it.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I was going to add some water wetter and a little bit of regular antifreeze to the system after installing the new stat, but after reading the entire post I am concerned that when I drain everything I can, some of the nasty orange dex will mix with the green and create a chemical fiasco. Anyone care to chime in and give any advice? I really don't see how I can drain the lower block very easily unless I could purge the entire system while the engine is running. Autozone have a special tool i can rent for this or machine?

Well I was going to add some water wetter and a little bit of regular antifreeze to the system after installing the new stat, but after reading the entire post I am concerned that when I drain everything I can, some of the nasty orange dex will mix with the green and create a chemical fiasco. Anyone care to chime in and give any advice? I really don't see how I can drain the lower block very easily unless I could purge the entire system while the engine is running. Autozone have a special tool i can rent for this or machine?

I did my T-stat about a month ago and added the water wetter to Dex-Cool. Im lucky if temps see 180 degs so far....On a few of the colder mornings this month, the drive to work was chilly...Luke-warm air was the best I was getting with the heat on full blast.....

Dont change out the dex-cool...It works just fine...Just mix 50/50 with water and add a bottle of Redline water wetter...

• 2 months later...

Wow lots of unanswered questions -

How do you tell if you have an air bubble trapped in the ssytem? My 160 deg thermo stat runs at 180 deg and then after a little bit of driving it will go up 200 and then back down and then up again randomly. I did the burping procedure again and it still happens. It is worse in warm weather. Seems if I am on the freeway, it never really does it. However, It also seems to only do it if I have gone up or down a significant hill. I did the search and saw that one guy who had a tool to evacuate the system with a compressor and refill it. I was also told it should work its way out too. Do I just need efans?

The behavior that you describe is typical, no I don't think that you have any air trapped in the system. The temperature going up and down is normal, the engine will only take a gulp from the radiator when it's hot enough to open the thermostat and do so. My own personal theory is that the truck needs a better radiator but I have not investigated that...

did anybody try and drill out the petcock hole and add the drain valve on the radaitor, mine too has no drian valve, what was gm thinking, cast the housing but we won't put the drain vavle in and save 10 cents. :dunno: just wondering if anybody added the drain valve and how they did it.

Nope, accept the fact that you're stuck with removing the lower rad hose to drain the system. I would not advise nor attempt drilling into the plastic tanks.

What I've done in the past - in my demolition derby car days we would undo both hoses, remove the thermostat, and then shove a garden hose at full blast down the upper coolant hose fitting and let the water run for a few minutes to flush out whatever scale/crap/fluid we could and for the most part this worked well enough; we would also do the same with the radiator. But I personally would advise just buying and using DEX-COOL.

Mr. P.

Additional info about the anti-freeze:

There is now available global antifreeze. It is the AC-DC of antifreeze. It can be used to replace green or Dexcool and can be mixed with either to top off.

There is some speculation that Dexcool has an acidic reaction to the plastic intake gaskets causing them to fail and leak. GM has denied this. Global antifreeze is very close to the PH balance of Dexcool but does not affect the intake gaskets. Many professional techs are leaning towards the global antifreeze because, obviously the one product covers almost all applications and the concerns that Dexcool may be the cause of failed intake gaskets. This is information from my customers.

I'm trying to find the article that refers to this.

Food for thought

I got my 160* tstat a couple of weeks ago but haven't put it in yet. I can't remember where I read them, but I read reasons not to put one in. Mainly for fuel mileage I think.

As of right now, my motor/trans are both stock. This weekend, the truck goes in for a transmission rebuild as well as TC and shift kit add. Then I need a tune. Should I hold off till after all that to put the tstat in or can I do it now.

Not right now, it's dark. and drizzley.

I got my 160* tstat a couple of weeks ago but haven't put it in yet. I can't remember where I read them, but I read reasons not to put one in. Mainly for fuel mileage I think.

As of right now, my motor/trans are both stock. This weekend, the truck goes in for a transmission rebuild as well as TC and shift kit add. Then I need a tune. Should I hold off till after all that to put the tstat in or can I do it now.

Not right now, it's dark. and drizzley.

Do it now, that way you can have your tuner accomodate everything in his work.

Mr. P.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i'm trying to do my 160* stat now and i can't get the valve open in the second picture. it says you can unscrew it with your fingers but i can't. how do i go about opening it? i'm stumped????

Don't worry about being civilized - go ahead and undo the thermostat housing, the coolant will drain from there...

Mr. P.

Archived