HOW-TO: Replacing Your Thermostat

misterp

Well i just finished putin in the 160 stat and washin the truck :thumbs: ...Took me 5 1/2 hours :crackup: but hey its all done.

Ran into some problems...after calling multiple dealers (who told me the radiator drain plug was on the bottom drivers side and one said it was on the bottom of the radiator passenger side), I realized that I do have a drain plug...But Its sealed and doesn't open (which I guess none of them could tell me that?), so for all you 06 VHO owners, remember that. Haha. Also suprisingly the clamp that holds the hose to the thermostat housing is alot tougher than on your older SSS/VHO's, couldn't even budge it when fully opened. Soooooo...After all that I just ended up unbolting the thermostat and lettin all the coolant gush into pans on the floor, well kinda into the pans :lol: alot on the floor too! And in my truck you keep your stock housing and just change out the stat.

I read all the other posts on 160* stat changes that still stayed around 200* on the gage...but couldn't tell what anyones conclusion was :dunno: Mine is around 190* to 200* when runnin (and I used watter wetter). I guess thats better than 210* though, and my fans stopped running on high constantly!! :D Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share!

EDIT: I take that back, I'm actually still running around 210 and the fans still won't stop running :banghead:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
EDIT: I take that back, I'm actually still running around 210 and the fans still won't stop running  :banghead:

If you have the defroster or a/c and/or the recirculate on, the fans run all the time.

Do your fans stay running constant with the above items off? :dunno:

Yes they run constantly after about 5 mins when I start driving, this is with nothing on. In 65* weather...Do you have a stat in your '06?

stock t-stat and stock tune.

my fans cycle:

on about 225f

off about 205f.

Edited: Temps

• 2 weeks later...
Since I see you have an 03, isn't the one for an 04 different. Just asking because I heard the two years were different.

Late-  Alex

Yes. The 2004 and newer models just require the themostat to be replaced. In the 2003 models the thermostat and housing needs to be replaced. Anybody with a 2004 or newer model what to do a write up on this? Super job Mr.P. :thumbs: You should write a do-it-yourself book on SS mods. I would buy one. :cheers:

Great instructions, perfect pictures! Good job! :cheers:

Something to note: The 04 does NOT have a drain valve for our convenience! :dunno:

I usualy pull the heater hose from the fire wall connection and direct the hose through the engine bay to a bucket. It works fairly well if you are quick with your hand and a very good aim :crackup: with very little spillage. :smash:

• 1 month later...

Well i finally got around to actually installing my 160 thermostat. I had it for a long time just never did the swap. I must say I had a hell of a time with this for some reason. I think what I was doing before this got me all out of focus cause i was switching out frames for my one quad and I kept coming across little things that just had me furious so I stopped that and decided to tackle the swap of the t-stat.

First I couldnt drain it, I prob could of but it felt like the plastic drain thingy was going to snap if i put anymore pressure on it so I just did the redneck way and just pulled the stat out and let antifreeze fly. It wasnt to bad cause i kept the stat in the bottom hose so that didnt leak out and when I put the new stat in i did it the same way, put it in the hose the lined it up and so on. If your a shorter person like I am around 5'9 i think thats where all the problems were coming from. I couldnt seem to get comfy when trying to reach anything but eventually pulled it off and the truck is running sweet. I got my tune back on friday from W4M after i had him change a few things and bump the timing and it feels a lot better now, doesnt seem to have a flat spot like before.

My temps are now running around 185 so i will be watching that to see how it holds up. Thanks for the How-To Mr. P. although i didnt really use it in the end :banghead:

• 2 weeks later...

so i went to install my stat on my 03 ss and could figure the drain relase for the life of me..i found it where it was supposed to be, but there was nothing to "Unscrew" could it have snapped off...all the was, was a round hole and the valve running off the laft side of it...can they snap off?? if it did what the hell do i do now..?

mine wouldnt budge so i didnt do it that way either. What I ended up doing was leaving the hose on the t-stat, take out the 2 bolts for the t-stat and let the coolant drain out of the motor that way. As long as the stat in still in the hose the coolant from the RAD wont come out. Then I really carefully pulled the stock stat out of the hose and put the new in, then just lined it up in the housing tightened it down and refilled the coolant to proper leverl. I'm running at 185 right now so i assume its fine.

mine wouldnt budge so i didnt do it that way either.  What I ended up doing was leaving the hose on the t-stat, take out the 2 bolts for the t-stat and let the coolant drain out of the motor that way.  As long as the stat in still in the hose the coolant from the RAD wont come out.  Then I really carefully pulled the stock stat out of the hose and put the new in, then just lined it up in the housing tightened it down and refilled the coolant to proper leverl.  I'm running at 185 right now so i assume its fine.

arint sounds good...but about refilling it... i have the dex cool "orange" is it ok to mix it...it says done mix w/ the green but theres isnt green in there now, its red...whata u think..?

red? it should be orange, are you looking at the right fill tank for the coolant?  It may look red but it should be orange :dunno:

ok you were right thenx man, one last thing. i was told if u have an 03, u have to change the thermostat housing...is this a must? or is the stock one alright?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How do you tell if you have an air bubble trapped in the ssytem? My 160 deg thermo stat runs at 180 deg and then after a little bit of driving it will go up 200 and then back down and then up again randomly. I did the burping procedure again and it still happens. It is worse in warm weather. Seems if I am on the freeway, it never really does it. However, It also seems to only do it if I have gone up or down a significant hill. I did the search and saw that one guy who had a tool to evacuate the system with a compressor and refill it. I was also told it should work its way out too. Do I just need efans?

Archived