HOW-TO: Replacing Your Thermostat

misterp

Thanks for all the info and the great pics.

So will cutting one coil off of the spring on the thermostat really make it a 160 deg?  I was going to order one and get the tune, just wondering.  thanks

TTT

Anyone actually done this? I'm getting my PCM retuned this week, and need to know if I need to order a 160 stat or not?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for all the info and the great pics.

So will cutting one coil off of the spring on the thermostat really make it a 160 deg?  I was going to order one and get the tune, just wondering.  thanks

TTT

Anyone actually done this? I'm getting my PCM retuned this week, and need to know if I need to order a 160 stat or not?

Sorry to keep throwing this thing to the top.. (wow, I just did a TTTTTT) I was hoping for a quick answer so that I can get my PCM order in today.. I realize that everyone is at work.. so I may be barking up a tree here..

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Thanks guys.

That's kind of the way I was leaning.. just curious if anyone had done it successfully.. Now the question is, do I have the same stat/housing combo as the 03 SS's or are they separate like the 04's+?

This is a wild-assed guess but - as your LQ4 is pre-04, I'm imagining it's just like mine, one-piece. A couple of our parts guys could answer that authoritatively (ArrivalSS - can you shed light on this?)

Mr. P. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
so, am i reading this right.....all you have to due to purge the system is run the truck at idle with the coolant cap off?

Yes, after the engine has already warmed-up to temp and built pressure in the cooling system.

I got my new thermo but now i have send out my programmed pcm for a new tune, good thing this thread is back cause i wasnt sure if i should send out my pcm or not before or after the install. I guess the stock PCM is going in for a little. :cheers:

• 1 month later...

What tuning changes need to be made on a 03-04 vehicle if they have mechanical fans? The only reason I could see tuning would be needed is to lower the fan turn on points but this would only be needed on 05+ vehicles.

What in a cooler thermostat makes the engine get worse gas mileage? I put a new thermostat in my truck and a new exhaust and am getting about .5 to 1 mpg worse but I think that may be because I like to hear my new exhaust a bit more. :lol:

What tuning changes need to be made on a 03-04 vehicle if they have mechanical fans?  The only reason I could see tuning would be needed is to lower the fan turn on points but this would only be needed on 05+ vehicles. 

What in a cooler thermostat makes the engine get worse gas mileage?  I put a new thermostat in my truck and a new exhaust and am getting about .5 to 1 mpg worse but I think that may be because I like to hear my new exhaust a bit more. :lol:

After installing a colder thermostat you will need to make the spark advance curve a bit more agressive to recover your mileage losses; the engine will be a lot more responsive as a result. Someone else will have to contribute what the best efan cut-in points are...

i think i have mine set at on @ 185 and off at 178 you can probably get away with a bit cooler in certain climates, i also have a manual on swtich for those track days!

Anybody done a 160* on an '06? I'm puttin one on tomorrow. Also is there any trick in measuring the coolant and stuff, Mr. P said to get 2 gallons, use it all?

NO do not use all of it!. The ratio of antifreeze-to-water must be tailored to the vehicle's operating environment; the goal here is to only use as much antifreeze as necessary to prevent freeze damage (on the cold end) and prevent boilover (on the high end).

The higher the percentage of water in the cooling system the better it will be able to transmit heat - both from the engine into the coolant, and from the coolant to the atmosphere. Coolants using high antifreeze content have more trouble 'shedding' the heat from the engine than straight water, a vehicle using over 60% antifreeze will certainly overheat attempting to climb out of the desert. In milder/warmer climates one can use far less antifreeze and get a bit better performance from the cooling system. Those living in deep-freeze climates will need to check the back of the bottle to get an idea of the mix ratio required to provide necessary protection.

In practice never run straight water in a cooling system - always use at least 30% antifreeze because it serves to lubricate and preserve water pump seals, plus raises the boiling point of the coolant. If you want to add Water Wetter (recommended in SoCal) then pout it in first, then begin refilling with coolant.

I believe factory fill is 50-50 ratio of antifreeze/water. In SoCal I would go for a 30/70 mix (30% antifreeze) that will provide freeze protection down to about 5-degrees farenheight and still deliver a boiling point of 250-degrees, IMO that's plenty good in SoCal. Just pour in a quart of antifreeze, then match it with 2.25-quarts of distilled water, and keep repeating until the cooling system is refilled; this will result in a 30/70 mix. Again the chemistry does not have to be super-exact, if you err make sure you are a little on the 'rich' side with your antifreeze, don't go over 50/50.

Mr. P.

Archived