HOW-TO: Removing Your PCM

misterp

:lol: HEY NOW comments like that could earn you an opinionated hand gesture from the star, Lefty has a big ego, bad temper, and real problem with authority :crackup: Yes, hairy arms, but it's better than some backs I've seen :eek:

Thanks for the compliment, I just bought some gear lube at the store today, so if I can break 'the star' away from the keyboard long enough I'll finally make good tomorrow on that promise for how-tos on changing diff fluids.

Mr. P. :)

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
How do i reprogram it? How much is it? Are there like different settings or what you can set it to?

You need to purchase a software package to reprogram your own PCM; the three comercially available products are:

* LS1 Edit (least expensive, not very user friendly, limited capabilities)

* HPTuners (very user friendly, well supported, decent functionality)

* EFILive (most expensive, very high quality product, supports extreme PCM modification, very loyal user following)

Make sure that whatever software solution you purchase also comes with a really good data logging utility as well, or else you are just tuning in the blind.

Mr. P. :)

I don't understand why remove the PCM? Just buy the Super Chip programmer. You can put in your settings, octane rating, top speed, rpm limiter, etc. And you can change it back to stock for warranty purposes. Just make sure to remove the fuse that transmits to GM while changing the settings, then put it back in. Super Chips will most likely need the VIN to program the OBDll programmer which is also a OBDll generic code reader. I paid $330 for mine, how much does a PCM cost that you install?

I don't understand why remove the PCM? Just buy the Super Chip programmer. You can put in your settings, octane rating, top speed, rpm limiter, etc. And you can change it back to stock for warranty purposes. Just make sure to remove the fuse that transmits to GM while changing the settings, then put it back in. Super Chips will most likely need the VIN to program the OBDll programmer which is also a OBDll generic code reader. I paid $330 for mine, how much does a PCM cost that you install?

you remove it to put in a new tuned pcm that will actually give you horespower. the superchip programmer does hardly anything. your octan reating is already 91, so why change it?cool you can change your shift points and speedlimiter, but it does not add any horspower or torque.Fuse that transmits to gm :wtf: .these trucks dont have those, your dealer wouldnt have the slightest clue you had a custom tune.a custom pcm tune is cheaper than your "superchips tuner" welcome nob. look into a custom pcm from Zippy performance.

I paid $200 for my pcmforless custom tune through a group purchase. :thumbs::driving:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So then what the heck is that little black box attached to the driverside firewall, right of the master cylinder, that has all the wires that go to the computer? :dunno:

:dunno:

is 30rwhp likely an obtainable goal from simply a tune?

Tune all by itself, *probably* not but I might be mistaken. PCM tune combined with external engine bolt-ons (low restriction air cleaner (CAI) & catback) yes. This does not mean a tune by itself is a waste of money, at a minimum I recommend every truck have a aftermarket low-restriction catback and PCM tune, the truck will have both improved performance and economy, enough to justify the cost spent over the life of the vehicle IMO.

Mr. P.

So then what the heck is that little black box attached to the driverside firewall, right of the master cylinder, that has all the wires that go to the computer? :dunno:

:dunno:

is 30rwhp likely an obtainable goal from simply a tune?

Tune all by itself, *probably* not but I might be mistaken. PCM tune combined with external engine bolt-ons (low restriction air cleaner (CAI) & catback) yes. This does not mean a tune by itself is a waste of money, at a minimum I recommend every truck have a aftermarket low-restriction catback and PCM tune, the truck will have both improved performance and economy, enough to justify the cost spent over the life of the vehicle IMO.

Mr. P.

good to know. i will likely be getting a catback and intake as well. i was going to get a cam and a tune after i added stuff like long tubes and high flow cats but maybe ill just get a tune once before and once after all that stuff.

• 1 month later...

Nice post!

OK, I bought my truck used from a dealer, so no real info from any prior owner on what's in it (except for the obvious Gibson exhaust). Any way to tell if the PCM has been modded already? I'd hate to send it in to find it functioned the same. :dunno:

Archived