Sign in to follow this  
misterp

HOW-TO: Removing Your PCM

The Silverado SS is known to be one of GM's most under-tuned vehicles; having your PCM reprogrammed is one of the single best improvements you can do for your SS; improved mileage and 30+ rear-wheel horsepower can be unleashed from a STOCK SS. In many cases the improved fuel economy seen on a stock SS will actually pay for the cost of the tune after about 35K to 40K-miles (assuming 1.5-mpg average increase) and even sooner if your PCM tuner enables Lean Cruising mode in your PCM.

This is a very simple job for even NON-MECHANICS, no prior autoshop classes required for this; if you can loosen and tighten a bolt and have access to a couple small sockets you can easily remove your PCM in 5-minutes.

1-underhood.jpg

2-cable.jpg

3-cover.jpg

4-clamp.jpg

5-connectors.jpg

6-finished.jpg

To put back in your (reprogrammed) PCM you just follow the steps shown above in reverse order:

1. Put the orange gaskets back in place and bolt-on the connectors - take your time on this step and do it right, make sure the orange gaskets are positioned/seated correctly so the connection is water-tight;

2. Gently seat the PCM back in its bracket and clamp it in place;

3. Put the mud/splash cover back over the PCM - do not leave it off, the PCM will eventually overheat if it is later covered in a thick coat of gunk;

4. Re-attach the negative battery cable;

5. Follow any starting/re-learn procedures given to you by your PCM programmer.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P.
  • Upvote 1

Thanks, it is targeted specifically for persons new to modifying their SS, kind of demystify things a bit.

That's a great guide Mr. P!! Good work!

But you left out the part where you scrape your arm (or burn it) and then curse for 5 minutes :)

:D Yeah, between each of us we're going to have to have a 'redneck first aid' how-to. :jester: And I'm not one to spoil ALL the fun!

Edited by misterp

Geez...I did mine and never removed the negative cable from the battery ?

It was not in Bryans instructions......Works fine tho !

Still had to do the re-learn

Geez...I did mine and never removed the negative cable from the battery ?

It was not in Bryans instructions......Works fine tho !

Still had to do the re-learn

Thanks for adding the hint, I was just being thorough.

Is there a trick to getting them orange gaskets back on? I cant seem to do it for the life of me :banghead:

I'm taking of for Well Maine this Saturday...

Takeing my stock PCM with me just incase something bugs out

Thanks man, that helps a lot for my lil weekend project.  Dude, you got some hairy ass arms.

Careful Blacky, "the hand of knowledge" , is the star of the How-to theater. :jester:

By the way Mr P, when do the autographs become avail? Great period of instruction though! :thumbs:

Edited by Z06 DREAMING