160 deg. thermostat

What exactly will installing a lower temp thermostat do? I mean other than keeping the engine cooler. Will it affect the performance of the heater (less output)? Will it increase the life of the engine? Thanks. :dunno:

Like This One

WoW! Lingenfelter charges 17 bucks for shipping on a 27 dollar part (and that's just UPS ground). Something doesn't add up. Will that other thermostat from lmperformance fit the LQ9? I'm an engine mod virgin. I guess they must be more universal than I thought. Thanks.

Thanks!  I just order one from Tom Byrne.  I had to pick up a Volant CAI too.  :)

I've seen that same intake for $40 more at Truck Performance!

have you guys seen MPG decreases with the lower operating temp?

Nope. Bryan's tune has helped my MPG. I'm avg. 16.4 on the past 500 miles and I haven't been easy on it. Of course I don't drive 100 MPH all the time(2 tickets within 6 months stopped that) but I don't take it easy on the SS either. If I drove in the city more often I'm sure the MPG would be less but it's still better than when the SS was stock.

Thanks!  I just order one from Tom Byrne.  I had to pick up a Volant CAI too.  :)

I've seen that same intake for $40 more at Truck Performance!

have you guys seen MPG decreases with the lower operating temp?

Nope. Bryan's tune has helped my MPG. I'm avg. 16.4 on the past 500 miles and I haven't been easy on it. Of course I don't drive 100 MPH all the time(2 tickets within 6 months stopped that) but I don't take it easy on the SS either. If I drove in the city more often I'm sure the MPG would be less but it's still better than when the SS was stock.

well, I don't mean the tune, just the Thermostat swap. btw, the DIC isn't very accurate with MPG, was the measured at the pump or on the display?

I'm gettin about 15mph city and 18mpg hwy at the pump on bryans tune.... but my dic shows about 16/19....... I drive my truck veery nice though beacuse gas is soo expensive.... but it hasn't stopped the occasional bit o' fun :chevy:

"have you guys seen MPG decreases with the lower operating temp?"

Yes.

My around town milage really couldn't tell much difference. But on Highway trips I noticed a significant drop in milage. I put the stock thermostat back in since I average 1000 miles a week.

There is a lot of debate as to whether these Gen III engines run better N/A at higher or lower coolant temps. For me the decision was easy because with the blower I want to do what I can to keep the underhood temperature down. :P

Archived