Flexalite Fans

I would like to be able to run my engine a little cooler than it has been. It has a 160 degree stat already and sometimes the temp. will still hover just under 220. Anyway, are the flexalite fans worth the buy? And how is installation on them? I figure its pretty straight forward.

wow thats a nice looking SS.

alot of guys reccommend the flex a lite fans and state they are good for 8-12 hp due to no parasitc loss, but ive read a few problems with them too.

I've heard the same things. Nobody's ever been real specific on the negative effects they have. My luck the blades will snap'n go through my hood :dupe:

Your truck or trucks look pretty clean to :thumbs: . Just wish i had something other than polariod pics to show with

At this point I can't recommend these fans. I've had nothing but trouble with them. I'm on my second set of fan motors and can't figure out why they keep burning out. Bryan from PCMforless is working with me on trying to figure it out. Thankfully Flexalite sent me the last set under warranty. These didn't last long though so I'm back to using the ole clutch fan until I can figure this out.

Physically, the fans are really nice and very strong. The main complaint anyone will have on them is the "VSC Controller" module that flexalite ships with the fan kit. That part is pretty flakey and doesnt operate as desired 100% of the time. If you replace that VSC with something else like a multi-relay harness or a better variable speed unit, it will be fine.

BIgTex, I was using the PCM fan harness from Bryan at PCMforless already. The first thing I got rid of was the VCM. By the way, money will go out shortly for the converter.

Well, I just got off the phone with FAL and this time they aren't going to send me another set of motors. They think that the motors were wired up wrong. Get this, a blue and a black lead coming out of the motor. Guess which one would be ground and which one hot? You would think that black would be ground however FAL for some strange reason decided to make black the hot and blue the grnd. So, I need to double check and see how they were wired up the second time around. Truck is unreliable right now, I don't want to sink any more money into these. Good thing is Bryan from PCM4less has graciously donated his LS1 fan set up to me once he gets his 05 GM fans installed. I thought that was cool. Shows you what kind of customer service he has. He knows the crap we went through with these fans. GOod thing is that Bob at FAL said that they have been getting al of motors back recently all bad due to reverse wiring. By the way, reverse wiring it doesn't change the direction of the fan but it definitely f's it up good.

in all honesty, i didnt feel much of anything of a diff. when i switched from stock to the 05 e-fans.... its gotta be something you can only see a diff on a dyno, ya know? I would have spent my money somewhere else if i hadnt of gotten em so cheap from work. I dunno if its just me... but mine are loud as $hit, i could go without that. I did not see any diff. as far as quarter mile times go. As far as the "good" goes... looks a lot cleaner under the hood.... and it makes pulley/belt swaps a snap! :thumbs:

Fans aren't good for lots of free power. I did a dyno on my 99 truck and made one run, then pulled off the clutch fan and made another pull without it. Difference was about 6hp and 6tq higher. The main benefit is the added room and the ability to create a better intake.

Fans aren't good for lots of free power.  I did a dyno on my 99 truck and made one run, then pulled off the clutch fan and made another pull without it.  Difference was about 6hp and 6tq higher.  The main benefit is the added room and the ability to create a better intake.

That's good to know. Perhaps I'll sell my '05 ones then, cuz I don't want to deal with noise, the multiple harnesses, programming, buying a 145A alternator, etc... :crazy:

Archived