DER Shiney Stuff

Dylan06SS

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be the first to admit that Zaino is an incredible product... its better than anything else out there... DER included, but it is much more expensive and time consuming to use. DER is a very close second to Zaino and if you don't have the extra time/money then it should be your choice.

Gold Class from McGuires is a carnuba/silcone wax... its old school technology that won't hold a candle to any of the acrylics out on the market. This type of wax doesn't stand up to heat, sun, or water for very long. It actually starts to evaporate in intense sunlight or heat. Acrylics on the other hand will resist temps well over 400* without any breakdown at all. Plus theres the added bonus of UV protection from an acrylic.

I'd recommend NXT if your going to use any McGuires product... but even then its still not as good as DER or Zaino.

Your truck definatly has a serious shine.  :thumbs:  Looks good. I think I may give one of them a try. They don't seem that much more expensive, and everyone that has used them says they're easier to apply.

Yeah I guarantee you'll really like either the Zaino or DSS a lot better. I tried the NXT and Gold Class both when I first got my SS. The NXT was ho-hum ok but only weathered so-so and was hard to clean off. The Gold Class I felt was a complete waste of $$$ and time, shined only about as well as johnson wax, I was not happy with the end result at all and it was a total biatch to clean off as well as leaving a greasy finish so bad the hood was permanently 'wet'.

But Maguires has an awesome clay bar kit for vehicles that are in really rough shape. And I love their quick detailer but you have to be careful with it or it'll streak on you.

Mr. P. :)

Steve, if you don't mind me asking, what are you spending on a complete set of Zaino w/ all the steps? I remember having sticker shock when I got it the first time and I've been on DER ever since.

Well if I had known about Der Shiney Stuff I probably would have purchased it instead; but I went whole-hog Zaino and ordered the following:

ZKIT-2 Ultimate Protection Show Car Kit - $117

Extra Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray - $10

Extra Z-2 PRO Show Car Polish - $15

Shipping - $9

My total purchase was $151 and arrived at my door in 2 days. At the rate I have been using it on the SS it will supply 15 months, so that averages out to $10 per month which is what I was spending before on over-the-shelf auto care chemicals. This purchase included A LOT of stuff - 2 clay bars, car wash soap, the acrylics, leather care products, tire care products, applicators. I could not be any more happier with the products, each solution is absolutely the best of it's type I have used (best soap, best wax, best leather cleaner, best rubber cleaner).

If you want to work into Zaino on a budget then I would recommend this: order one bottle Z-5 (preferred for initial coats, $16) or Z-2 (follow-up coats, $15), the ZFX accelerant (required and lasts forever, $20), a bottle Z-6 spray ($10); with shipping ($9) the total on the first order will be about $55 and they'll throw in an applicator. Optional - if you can afford to then also add the Z-18 clay bar ($17) to your order if the vehicle has never been clayed before. Wash/clay the truck and then apply three initial coats of Z-5/Z-2 using Z-6 in between (makes a hell of a difference), more will not look/protect any better. It takes 2-oz of Z-5/Z-2 to do the SS, including wheels so a whole bottle of Z-2/Z-5 will do four coats on the SS. After the initial three coats, apply a single coat of Z-2 every 3-4 weeks (every other car wash) and the finish will always be show ready.

Reorders from then on will be another bottle of Z-2 and Z-6 every 2 to 3 months ($25); but the additional $9 shipping is what will kill you on the reorders. So if you can afford the $120 - $150 up-front it is *totally* worth it as the only thing you'll buy after that are cotton terry/diaper cloth and glass cleaner.

Also, it does not get any mention on the board but the Z-16 tire/rubber cleaner is FANTASTIC, the Z-9 leather cleaner has mink oil in it and the smell is more addictive than crack cocaine, and both the Z-10 leather conditioner and Z-2 acrylic finish have SPF-40 sunscreen in them.

Mr. P. :)

• 4 months later...

I realize that this post is about DerShinyStuff, but about a year ago the big talk on the site was Zaino's Show Car Polish.

I've been using Zaino's since my truck was new (2003) and still use it today. Is the Der Stuff supposed to be better or just the latest craze?

I tend to stick with something that works for me, and Zaino's is easy to apply and lasts forever, so some extra input is going to be needed to make me get curious about it.

The instructional sound awfully familiar, almost identical to the instructions with Zaino's, so what's the scoop?

Which one is better between the Der Stuff and Zaino's? And Why is one better than the other. I don't care about the money issue, I use the best stuff available for my truck, this is not an area I'm looking to save money on, so other than $$ what's the diff?

Good informational though, nice step by step on the how to's!

I don't pretend that DER is any better than Zaino b/c it isn't. I've used both and Zaino produces AMAZING results. I prefer DER b/c its cheaper and involves much less time and effort to use IMO.

The steps seem similar b/c they are, at their base, really similar products. DER is just a "dumbed down" version of the other... they've combined some of the steps and added drying agents to speed up the process... thats it.

As in life there are no short cuts and you pay for what you get. If you have the extra money and time go with the Zaino... if you'd like VERY similar results but don't have the money or extra time then go with DER. Either product is going to work wonders on paint... Zaino is just a tad better.

EDIT: the one big advantage I see for Zaino (especially for Onyx black) is thier anti-static treatment... thats one area where DER falls behind... the acrylics make alot of dust and DER requires you to kinda dust off the truck after applications... Zaino has a de-static step that repels acrylic dust and regular dust... so thats a big benefit IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Just browsing through some old pictures from last year and found this ... figured it would be good in the Der Shiney how-to ..... thanks for the hook up Dylan

SSatthetrack.jpg

Archived