6.0 heads vs.5.3 heads

They will bolt up, you will get a little more performance. The heads are what makes the LQ9 different, they are the same as Z06 heads but with larger combustion chambers. :thumbs:

Not 100% sure on the diffs btwn a 5.3 and 6.0 (someone will pipe in if I'm wrong), but pretty sure putting 6.0L heads on a 5.3L will decrease your CR. Just not sure on the chamber size of the 5.3L.

Not sure on CC of the 5.3 heads. With the "lesser" cubes, I can't imagine using LS6 heads would put me much over 10 maybe 10.5:1??? That might be a better fit (LS6 heads)...if it will work!?! I hate to lose compression, since I only have 9.5:1 now. Has anyone tried this???

Not sure on CC of the 5.3 heads.  With the "lesser" cubes, I can't imagine using LS6 heads would put me much over 10 maybe 10.5:1???  That might be a better fit (LS6 heads)...if it will work!?!  I hate to lose compression, since I only have 9.5:1 now.  Has anyone tried this???

You won't know if you're losing compression until you either do the math based on the 6.0L head volume or get the volume of the 5.3s.

So you have 9.5:1 on the 5.3? That sounds like 5.3 heads are probably big volume (which kind of gibes with what I remember 76cc??)

Check out this post on calculating your CR.

I am pretty sure that putting the 6.0 heads on a 5.3 will lower the compression ratio. I think thats why alot of people do it so they can run more boost sometimes. I think that if you put them on and you are n/a you will actually lose some hp.

the 4.8 and 5.3L cylinder heads have the smallest combustion chambers. i'd use the 5.3 heads myself. if i buy a truck with a 6.0L more than likely i'd end up with 5.3 heads on it with intake valves from a 6.0L. the only reason to put 6.0L heads on a 5.3L is to lower the compression.

the 4.8 and 5.3L cylinder heads have the smallest  combustion chambers. i'd use the 5.3 heads myself. if i buy a truck with a 6.0L more than likely i'd end up with 5.3 heads on it with intake valves from a 6.0L. the only reason to put 6.0L heads on a 5.3L is to lower the compression.

ok....so what about slapping some LS6 heads on??

if i recall they still have a larger combustion chamber than the 5.3L. other than a larger intake valve i'm not seeing where there'd be much gain to make up for less compression. on a 5.3, use 5.3 heads.

Archived