Earnhardt-themed Chevy Silverado SS to debut

Mervz

• Admin

Earnhardt-themed Chevy Silverado SS to debut in 2006

Intimidator SS is Chevy's first Signature Edition pickup honoring NASCAR stars

WKA2005042943788_pv.jpg

MOORESVILLE, N.C. – Chevrolet and Dale Earnhardt Incorporated (DEI) today unveiled the new 2006 Chevrolet Silverado Intimidator SS honoring the late Dale Earnhardt during a special celebration for the seven-time NASCAR Winston Cup champion and team owner.

Chevrolet plans a limited production run of 1,333 Silverado Intimidator SS trucks and unveiled its newest signature edition model at DEI. The event included thousands of Earnhardt and DEI fans who make the visit to the race shop each year for “Dale Earnhardt Day” commemorating the racing legend’s birthday.

“We are very proud of the long-time association between Chevrolet and the Earnhardt family,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. “Dale’s legacy is unique within racing, and we are excited about this opportunity to offer fans a vehicle they can so closely identify with one of their heroes.”

The Intimidator SS is based on a well-equipped 2006 Silverado SS featuring the GM’s Vortec 6000 V-8, which pumps out 345 horsepower (257 kw) and 380 lb.-ft. (515 Nm) of torque. It will also feature a performance-tuned suspension, two-stage multi-leaf springs, Tenneco shock absorbers, a stiffer front stabilizer bar and stiffer front jounce bumpers.

Its exterior scheme begins with a lowered ride height and a striking black monochromatic color highlighted with ‘Intimidator’ badging on the tailgate and doors, a unique race-inspired tailgate spoiler and a unique silver front grille insert. The Intimidator SS also has 20-inch chrome wheels.

The interior boasts a black leather steering wheel with the Dale Earnhardt Legacy logo embroidered on the front headrests with optional dark charcoal leather seating surfaces. Other features include Dale Earnhardt’s signature on the white, backlit gauge cluster, the ‘Intimidator’ badge on the instrument panel and floor mats with the ‘Intimidator’ script.

Other features consistent with the 2006 Chevy Silverado SS include a 4-speed electronically controlled transmission, 3.73 final drive ratio, locking differential, cruise control, rear defogger, keyless entry, cloth split bench seats, power seat adjuster, steering wheel radio controls, power windows, engine oil cooler, transmission oil cooler and rear-wheel, 2-wheel rear drive.

The Silverado Intimidator SS is the sixth signature edition vehicle offered by Chevrolet and is considered by some fans to be the ultimate in NASCAR-themed collectibles. Previous editions were: the 2002 Dale Earnhardt Signature Edition Monte Carlo (3,333 units); the 2003 Jeff Gordon Signature Edition Monte Carlo (2,424 units); the 2004 Monte Carlo Intimidator SS (4,000 units); the 2004 Dale Earnhardt Jr. Signature Series Supercharged SS Monte Carlo (2,883 units); and the 2005 Tony Stewart Signature Series Supercharged SS (1,020 units.)

Chevrolet will make a donation from the sale of the Silverado Intimidator SS to the Dale Earnhardt Foundation, a charity specifically chosen by the Earnhardt family. The foundation is committed to carrying on Earnhardt’s legacy and the charitable causes he supported during his lifetime. Chevrolet has already donated more than $1 million from the five previous signature edition models.

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), the world’s largest automaker, has been the global industry sales leader since 1931. Founded in 1908, GM today employs about 321,000 people around the world. It has manufacturing operations in 32 countries and its vehicles are sold in 200 countries. In 2004, GM sold nearly 9 million cars and trucks globally, up 4 percent. GM’s global headquarters are at the GM Renaissance Center in Detroit. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whats so great about it? 345hp? i thought the ss was suppost to get a boost in power for 06 all they did was ad some leftover badges from the intimidator monte and gave it a different spoiler. you can get a 2wd ss as we speak so that is not really any big news oh well i would rather have the ss trailblazer then this anyway.

Everything mentioned in that article referencing Signature Edition SS's were referring to Monte's.

One of the local dealers here has a Tony Stewart Edition right now.

If they were rear drive with a V8 I would have bought one of the Dale Junior editions. It was pretty sharp.

Sorry to rain in but *yawn* I'm not fully impressed. My opinion: I'm sure that if the Intimidator himself were still with us the truck would be a whole lot more under the hood, more like the original 2001 Camaro Intimidator SS. The suspension improvements are welcome though; I wonder how many can be carried back onto the AWD SS...

Mr. P.

Sorry to rain in but *yawn* I'm not fully impressed.  My opinion:  I'm sure that if the Intimidator himself were still with us the truck would be a whole lot more under the hood, more like the original 2001 Camaro Intimidator SS.  The suspension improvements are welcome though; I wonder how many can be carried back onto the AWD SS...

Mr. P.

that camaro really didn't have much for performance. I think all they added was a lid. :lol: also, there was already an intimidator SSS. there's one here in town. the one posted here is different than it though.

Archived