STS vs. Radix vs. ATI vs. ...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when i say equal mods i'm referring to a stock longblock 364 to a 408. mods being external and both on pump gas.

I hear ya Zippy. I just don't think the average guy going through the time and expense of building a 408 leaves the cam and heads stock, and that a lot of recorded track times reflect these improvements. S/C guys are a little more likely to leave the rocker covers on. :)

Edited by SSLink (see edit history)

that's not what i meant. the average built 408 is going to have a mild cam and some kind of cylinder head upgrade. i'm comparing a 408 with lets say stock or mildy upgraded heads and a mild cam with compression at around 10.5-11.5:1. for a comparison i'd say a stock long block 364 with say headers, as much boost as can be ran on pump gas with a street tune, and the usual bolt on's. the boosted 364 would probably be a bit quicker, but it's tough to say how much.

• 2 weeks later...

for you boosted guys. can you post your blower type and pulley size with psi? this is a what you actually have thing, not what you've seen/heard...

i'll try to edit them and put them in a single post to help out boosted info.

i just got rid of my 5.0s to move out here to ny what drag found a 03 ss for 23500 with 12k bought it but dont know what to do ive never owned a gm product in my life so this is gona be fun any advice on bolt ons that are some what cheap but add quit the power thanks :cheers:

for you boosted guys. can you post your blower type and pulley size with psi? this is a what you actually have thing, not what you've seen/heard...

ATI Procharger P1SC 15psi of boost 3.26 pulley on a 408 stroker

Edited by stexx (see edit history)

hey berserker i wanted to know if getting the sts turbo kit for under $4000 was a good deal cause i think thats what you got right. im only 16 yrs old so i wanted to know about a lot of peoples thoughts before adding it on my 04 silverado ss. thanks.

Edited by DaJoker SS (see edit history)

hey berserker i wanted to know if getting the sts turbo kit for under $4000 was a good deal cause i think thats what you got right. im only 16 yrs old so i wanted to know about a lot of peoples thoughts before adding it on my 04 silverado ss. thanks.

I have an STS.

That price could be great depending on what is included.

Stock LQ4, w Radix/stock 3.1pulley, 7lbs of boost all day everyday.

Any reliability problems/issues? Thinking of going with a Radix, Headers, exhaust, and a tune. And it's a daily driver. Just want some more punch in it.

Any reliability problems/issues? Thinking of going with a Radix, Headers, exhaust, and a tune. And it's a daily driver. Just want some more punch in it.

no problems whatsoever :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...
Got the Radix, Stage III heads, cam etc. Love it. I'm building a 427 and am going to put the STS on the back and leave the Magnuson up front.  I'll let the Turbo jam it down Maggies throat!  :crackup: I don't see why that wouldn't work.

I think the radix is too small for getting much boost into a 427. I'm not sure why you would even consider throttling a turbo by compounding it into a magnacharger to begin with. The magnacharger's seals allow blow by in high boost situations, which trying to compound a turbo would almost certainly produce.

I can see doing sequential turbos or compounding boost through two turbos, or even using a cent. s/c to spin up the turbo (by routing the intake charge from the s/c into the exhaust and using the s/c pressure diff to spin the turbo -- you could do a huge thumper with little lag that way).

According to Whipple's site, they do have an optional liquid intercooler available with their kits, though they claim it's not necessary (for reliability) except to gain more Hp.

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1144

I'm guessing they mean "Methanol Injection" by "liquid intercooler". I couldn't find any details on their site about if this is purchased separately and, if so, how much. Anybody know? I would just e-mail them, but I'm not in the market yet. Just doing research.

If it's a big $ add-on, it may be better to consider the radix. Thoughts?