It doesn't shift hard enough!

Well this morning I left for work at about 7:00am didn't make it two blocks till I got the hardest shift of my life which was also part of the loudest bang I have ever heard out of a tranny. Then there was nothing I could get the truck to move if I held it at like half throttle but it wasn't very smooth and then also found out that all gears are now forward in a very slow paced kinda way this includes (neutral and reverse) I guess it's like Zippy says it's not shifting hard enough till your breaking parts! Oh well I got the dealer to cover it under warranty! :thumbs:

Heres what I found:

772146_49_full.jpg

772146_50_full.jpg

772146_52_full.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think while it's out i'd ask the tech if he can warrenty it and slip a tb converter in it's place. he can order it and bill the stock one for the truck. with a little fancy paperwork the dealer can pull it off and nobody loses. a little bit of stall goes a long way with keeping the hard parts from breaking. it adds some cushion on the shifts.

See what trying to beat me will get you Jon... a broken tranny :nono::jester:

Just kidding... that sux man... I couldn't beleive it when you called me this morning. I was driving very gently the rest of the day... I don't think my SS has seen WOT since I talked to you. :shakehead:

you dont think it was the shift kit and servo's do you????

Just wondering, im about to install a zippy kit so just wondering

Just remember it's not shifting hard enough if your not breaking parts!

LOL seriously though I think I would have been fine if some of the torque management was left in or the shift times weren't so perfectly crisp!

But you best bet I'm gonna do it again!

With the TB converter this time! :thumbs:

i had set most of the trans settings on jon's truck. they were much more agressive than most will have and about a full step up from what you'd see from a pcmforless tune or something of the type. bryan's trans tuning for example is a more conservative and likely won't see any chance of the same happening. this would be the 3rd SS i know of with a zippy kit that has broken a hard part. all 3 were self tuned.

a little bit of stall goes a long way with keeping the hard parts from breaking. it adds some cushion on the shifts.

Really? Is this how it works? I would like to know for sure. Are you saying that, for example, a vehicle with a Yank TT2600 would have less stress on the tranny than the same vehicle with a stock converter?

Archived