radix power

zippy

what more do i need you ask?  well, i'm being told my NUMEROUS people that the 04 in-tank walbro 255lph unit will not work in a '03 without substantial modification.  if you have 2 of them in-tank, then where is the post with pics, instructions, data?  i keep hearing people say the in-tank is not a big deal, but than another group of people say it can't or shouldn't be done.  here, read this:

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/sh...163#post3406163

I didn't do a thread, but it's still something that anyone can do. What would you call "substantial modification"? Would using a small grinder to grind away a few pieces of plastic be considered "substantial"? I had to do that to get 2 pumps in, it would be even more minor, if at all necessary, for a single pump. You need to order a GSS340, 255lph pump. Not sure of what that other number you have.

All the talk about modifying the bucket. What is the bucket really for? I modified the hell out of mine and it still functions as if it were stock. I have had it down to as little as 2 gallons in there and no problems. I didn't try to see how far I can go before I do have problems, I didn't even go that low on the stock only pump.

Get the pump. If the bucket has to be modified at all, it would be super minor. My GSS340s looked exactly like stock with the exception of they were slightly slimmer, but not by that much. The wiring doesn't have to be exact when you can use butt connectors to make the wiring work. I had to splice two into one, obviously. If the places you are ordering from don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, call 850-455-1341 (Speed Unlimited) and ask for Rob. Tell him you want the same pumps he got for me.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone else in the for sale forum even stated that the Walbro drops right in. I paid about $150 for a Walbro GSS340, 255lph pump. Maybe even a little less.

The things you mention about never getting below 1/4 tank, I have never experienced. I modified the hell out of that thing. The bucket still goes in the same way and the pump still sits on the bottom of the tank and picks the gas up the exact same way the stock pump does - through the flat filters. Modifying the bucket didn't change that - for me.

Wiring - if you can crimp a butt connector you can handle the wiring.

Why don't you ask all the '04s running out there if they are having problems?

Your choice on what you want to do. I'm not trying to convince you other-wise.

Benkey, thanks for the info, that was actually very helpful. i've already ordered a OEM replacement pump, but i'm going to order a GSS340 as well and see what i can do.

Ben, one VERY important question here. If i do use the GSS340 in-tank pump, will i run into any problems using my walbro in-line pump also that came with the radix?

The in-line pump is designed to work with an in-tank pump. I can't see why you would have any problems. If you decide to do a GSS340, use the person and place I mentioned to get it. He knows quite a bit about our motors and actually built mine.

• 8 months later...

I don't need any. I had just ran into a few questions concerning fueling and Radix's which are talked about quite a bit in this post. It's good reading for those having fueling problems on 04' and newer trucks.

• 1 year later...

Hey guy,

I'm going to revive this thread....as it contains a ton of great info!!!!! My truck is an '04 (Fuelsluts old ride) and I'm still experiencing the same fueling issue he was, but I have some new info. Hopefully, we can figure this out, provide some useful info for all of the '04 and up radix owners and realize the potential of the mods he made to this truck. Here is a quick rundown:

04 Silverado SS

6.0 with a GT2-3 cam

Radix with 2.8 pulley (intercooled---sees 8-9 psi)

shorty headers, corsa catback

42lb lightning injectors

Volant cold air kit

Zippy tune

TB converter

When I got it, it had a failing fuel pump. I knew of the history (from these boards) so I knew it had multiple pumps put in it. I replaced the pump (Walbro from Magnacharger---thanks Brian!) and also found that I had a voltage drop in the factory harness as well as a dead Magnavolt booster. I removed the voltage booster and ended up making a new wiring harness. Voltage drop is gone. I have not sent the volt booster back to be repaired at this time.

I know that he had replaced the fuel sender basket (fuel regulator/filter/sender assembly) so I didn't mess with that. I did ck the o-rings though and blew through the fuel filter. It seemed fine and I ddn't find any signs of contamination/debris. I also did a visual inspection of the plastic and steel fuel lines from the tank to the rail and found no signs of damage. Truck has been running fine for the 6 months or so that I've owned it, but the tune is SUPER conservative (10-11^ of timing) and I want to turn it up and run some 12's!!!

Today, I put a mechanical gauge back on it at the rail and verified 62psi at idle. Under WOT at the top of 2nd, the pressure will drop all the way to 50psi. I had spoke to Zippy and this confirms the lean condition they were seeing on the dyno when they were trying to tune it (hence the conservative tune). Next I put the gauge in-line at the connection next to the tank and performed the same test. 62psi at idle but it only dropped to 53psi at the top of 2nd gear..........

Seems like I'm dropping too much pressure through these lines. Remember there was a foot or so of plastic line from the top of the tank to the connection where I teed in. Possibly the pressure drop might be even less if I teed in at the top of the sender. Unfortunately, that would mean dropping the tank to make the connection, etc... PIA would be an understatement....I'm not convinced that putting in a bigger line from the tank to the rail would fix this. I'm almost thinking that the issue is not enough pump for the given pressure/hp requirements.

Anybody have any additional info they want to share on this subject as it relates to the '04 on up systems???? I really don't want to convert over to a return style system and I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on this system to find out that it still isn't up to snuff.

Sorry for the novel, just wanted to provide all the details.....

P.S. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this truck should probably run mid 12's based off the mods it has???? It's feels awesome in 1st, but really lays down up stairs :(

Archived