160 stat install..a few questions

Ok. I got the stat today and want to install. Will I need to completely drain the system to install? What coolent should I use to refill? I've read some post that recommend dexcool mixed with water at 50/50. How much should I buy to refill after the stat is installed? Also I've read post that suggest using silcone grease to seat the ring. Is this really needed? Thanks for any help, I'm not a mechanical person but I want to try to install any mods that I can to save cash for more mods. Stupid CAI cost me $40 or so, wish I knew how easy it was to install. I did installed the outlaw CAI so I'm gaining experience. :D

i install them with the seal dry, but you can use some vaseline to help keep the o-ring sticking to the housing. no need to drain the system. pull the stat and lift the hose up as high as possible afterward to keep most of the coolan from coming back out. refill with a 50/50 mix of dexcool and water. i do recomend adding 2 bottles of redline water wetter while you are there. this is available at autozone or something of the kind.

i install them with the seal dry, but you can use some vaseline to help keep the o-ring sticking to the housing. no need to drain the system. pull the stat and lift the hose up as high as possible afterward to keep most of the coolan from coming back out. refill with a 50/50 mix of dexcool and water. i do recomend adding 2 bottles of redline water wetter while you are there. this is available at autozone or something of the kind.

Thanks for the tips zippy. I was going to ask about using vaseline, but thought people would think I was crazy. What does the redline water wetter do?

Thanks again.

Got the stat in. Took a little while to get that stupid hose off. I had a buddy work on it with me. He wants to mod his 2004 GM sooner and later. Lost about 2 gallon of fluid, replaced and will test her tomorrow. The temp gauge didn't jump around at all when started so maybe that's a good sign.

I'll know tomorrow when I start her up and let her run some. Now on to the plug wires and plugs. Next is a shift kit and servos.

Archived