The Hemi, yea right

handsome25tx

well calipso, i also agree with most of what ghost said, but the problem is in the badging of the truck. the ss is badges as so, super sport. had it just been sport the comparison's probably wouldn't have been pushed so hard. when you put ss badges on it's expected to be the best offering in the performance side from chevrolet. sport trucks aren't about how much they can tow, go through snow, haul, etc. that's a work truck or an LT packaged Z71 equipped silverado. when the 454 ss was released, it was as good as you could get for a performance truck at the time. hauling, driving in the snow, and trailering were things that weren't a concern for that. granted, the ss is a damn fine truck and it proved that to me when i spent some time in one, but it felt like a customized LT or cadillac escalade truck. i'm not cutting the the silverado, but comparison's wil be made just as the dakota r/t guys took a slap in the face with the r/t that didn't live up to most of the r/t badging. the ss isn't any new idea, as denali was first. it's just jazzed up a bit more. ask someone with an extreme or ss s10 if they took any flack for the trucks performance.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Dodge... just ask Ryan Newman how reliable it is...see todays race.

Hahahaha, you mean old MR. KILL SWITCH? hahaha I hate when that happens! hehehe

Face it......... everybody will try and stand up for the model they drive. It's more or less a self-defense mechanism on their own part since they are generally still making payments on the thing! Usually - as soon as somebody thinks theirs is a POS, they will trade it for whatever floats their boat at that time. You guys should talk as much trash as you can right now...... because sooner or later you will want to trade your current truck away for the latest and greatest. Who knows....... it might not be another Chevy.

I've been a Chevy guy most of my adult life, but a string of "lemons" baited me into trying a different brand. That doesn't mean that I think GMs are junk. I just wanted something "different" and so far - so good. This is my second Dakota and I have been enjoying almost every minute with it.

Yes Zippy, you are right about the badging. It is somewhat of a deceiving mark in one sense, but in another sense, it isn't. Compared to a standard Silverado, the SS is a Super Sport. When you cross reference with other brands, there are too many variables to realistically compare. Therefore, I compare in the abstract. I look at what makes me happy about each one, and what makes me frown, and in the end, the one that gives me lift is the one I pick. Although it counts, speed is not my number one factor. If the SS is slose to the Harley, that's fine for me. Because in my young adult life so far (27), I've already learned that someone will always be faster, stronger, bigger, etc... That is why i couldn't justify buying a Ford L, although I agree they are pretty fun and can be fixed to look pretty good. Great speed, but it really is a three seater car with a bed to me.

Speaking of cross-comparing, has anyone checked out the Saleen SR? I used to own a 281 and considered buying the new SR until I saw the sticker was 158,000? A Corvette Z06 or Viper isn't that far off on the performance numbers yet cost 50-80k. How can Saleen justify such a price for a tweaked out GT? For that money, give me the Mercedes S600 and I'll still pocket 20k, or give me a Ferrari.

Hey Ghost,

I agree with much of what you said.  And I've always said to each his own.  But when I get static from Mopar Performance because I express why I think the SS is the best all around and why I dislike the others, my gloves come off quick.  Yes, there are good attributes to the Ford L, the Dodge, etc...but not enough for me to enough consider buying one.  Yes I know  they are apples and oranges.  I just was making a comment.  I want my truck to perform like a truck (towing, hauling, snow, etc...) and I also wants looks and some sporty performance.  That is why the SS is for me.  The Dodge... just ask Ryan Newman how reliable it is...see todays race.

I had no intention of insulting anyone's ride, and hope you didn't take it that way... :cheers:

We each buy what we want for our own reasons. If I needed the extra seating and more tow/payload, then I'd have to do a HECK of a lot more research before I chose between the Harley and the SS... I had a F150 Lariat extended cab 4 door that I traded on the L, it was fine, but just a lot more "truck" than I needed. That was pre-SS...

As calisapo said, "but it really is a three seater car with a bed to me". He's almost exactly correct, ( I think a 3 seater muscle car with a bed would be closer :D ) and that was the compromise that I made for my personal reasons (read, money vs. needs :D )

As for the badging, well, I think most companies have a poor record of delivering on the "hype" (1999 Cobra for example). So that doesn't have much impact on me...

Hope I didn't ruffle any feathers, not my intent...

Ghost,

No ruffled feathers here. You're right on on with what you said. i think a lot of people, not necessarily on this board, but people I talk to seem to judge a truck or car by the performance numbers. There is just so much more and a big portion of that is what your needs are. :cheers:

BTW, don't worry about feathers. Everyone on this site is rather cordial. I don't see too many people actually get upset here. I spend some time on a boxing web site when I'm not here and damn, there you have some real hostility. They actually want your home address so they can come settle the issue, LOL.

Ghost,

No ruffled feathers here.  You're right on on with what you said.  i think a lot of people, not necessarily on this board, but people I talk to seem to judge a truck or car by the performance numbers.  There is just so much more and a big portion of that is what your needs are.  :cheers:

BTW, don't worry about feathers.  Everyone on this site is rather cordial.  I don't see too many people actually get upset here.  I spend some time on a boxing web site when I'm not here and damn, there you have some real hostility.  They actually want your home address so they can come settle the issue, LOL.

kewl,

I know I'm "odd man out" here with the L. But for me it's about getting the most fun you can out of something that you "need" anyway, so why not make the best of it... :cheers:

Dang, a boxing website? I'd bet the testosterone flows around there like a river! :D

I've had a few agruments on the web, and I'd just as soon avoid any hard feelings. Had enough of that with a couple of ex-wives :jester:

Take care! :flag:

considering all of the forums i'm involved with, this is the site with the most respect of the other members. even when someone is making a comment on here, it's usually just sarcasm. i'm glad to see there is somewhere on the internet people get along with and without differences. :smash::flag:

Yes, this is a fun site and that makes it more enjoyable to come back too. I have to laugh, we knock eachother in fun of course about Dodge, Ford and Chevy. But the reality here is they are all American. :flag: Maybe we should pick on Toyota or something.

Oh ya, stay away from boxing boards if you like to keep your blood pressure down.

But if anyone wants to get their blood boiling, check out this. HBO Boxing

:flag: Maybe we should pick on Toyota or something.

Oh ya, stay away from boxing boards if you like to keep your blood pressure down.

Now you're talking. I see where they are building a big truck plant in Tx with the intent of taking over the US truck market. I'd just as soon eat ground glass...

As for boxing boards... :D I had all of that I ever needed in 20 yrs. of Active duty in the army.. :flag:

If I'm that pissed off at someone, well, that's where that old colt 1911 comes in... :jester:

I agree completely about this board. I'm very happy to be here, it's intelligent and civil, a VERY rare combination on the web...

this is the site with the most respect of the other members.

It's called maturity. For the most part we have folks who act like adults around here, not spoiled teenagers. That's why I like it, too. :cheers:

:thumbs: To everyone.

Maybe we should pick on Toyota or something

come on easy on the toyota

33027103.jpg

this is my 1974 toyota land cruiser fj40 absolute blast to own. bigger babe magnet than the ss its a hard throw up on which is more fun to drive. but usually the ss always wins.

not spoiled teenagers
more like spoiled adults :jester:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived