The Hemi, yea right

handsome25tx

the drivetrain on the dodge is terribly inefficient comparing, although that all changes when you hang an awd system on. the chevy loses more due to the awd, but since it's lighter on top of it, the 345hp is better put to the ground. the only hemi trucks running close to an ss are the 2wd one's. the 4wd trucks may be better off playing with the 4wd 5.3's. with the small amount of messing around that has been performed at a certain place i'm very familier with which sells both, the hemi trucks tend to run about equal with the 5.3 trucks in the same form(s). the dodge could use a diet (and some quality, couldn't give me a damn dodge).

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why yall put down the Hemi so much....like it's a big deal you beat a Hemi with your FORTY THOUSAND and up truck.

Hemi Rams are just for work, nothing special...it's just a name like your Vortech line.

SS Silverado = speciality truck, built for performance

You can't put a regular truck (even tho it has a big engine) up against a truck that was made specifically for performance.

It's just not logical or fair. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Now.....when the RAM SRT-10 comes out (which is a specialty truck, built for performance)........I dare you to race it.

Now.......SS vs SRT.....that's the way to go.

Both speciality performance trucks.

Both 40 grand price range.

Around the same weight. I know yall are going to say the SS is heavier, but don't forget the SRT has features the SS don't.....22's, a spoiler, a 500 watt stereo system, a ram air hood, it all adds weight.

So I'll be very interested to see how the story changes when the SRT comes out.

I'm not putting down the SS, I like it's styling. But you just can't put down a non performance truck when you beat it with a more expensive, performance tuned SS.

Though now that I'm thinking....it's kinda sad that a non performance truck with a 5.7 V8 puts out the same output (HP) as a "performance, H.O." 6.0 V8. ??

now your compairing apples to oranges Like our motor is right out an suv not a high dollar sports car , the rest of the mods are not far from what a normal truck are just lowered the ride a little and gave it full time 4X4 drive some sporty looks and big rims and tires and a lot of lux items not a race truck

Darren

All in all, how many trucks combine all the features of ths SS? Looks (which Ford or Dodge can't touch), Power (The Lightning can't tow crap), speed, AWD 20 inch Mud/Snow Tires (How many trucks can go from the strip to the snow with no changes), room for five...shall I go on? And bottom line...it's a Chevy!

All in all, how many trucks combine all the features of ths SS?  Looks (which Ford or Dodge can't touch), Power (The Lightning can't tow crap), speed, AWD 20 inch Mud/Snow Tires (How many trucks can go from the strip to the snow with no changes), room for five...shall I go on?  And bottom line...it's a Chevy!

Looks......everyone has their own opinion

Power....Dodge's most powerful power plant throws 500HP, what's Chevy's? under 400HP...even the Z06 has under 400HP

Speed....Dodge currently makes AMERICA's fastest production car....and soon to wear the fastest production truck crown. (SRT RAM)

Ram has 20 inch wheels and the quad cab sure does fit 5 comfortably. You wan't AWD, get a subaru...Dodge gives you the option from 2wd to 4wd on the fly!

So......what's your point? :flag:

Keep in mind I'm not hating on the Chevy...love it all you want....but don't put down another vehicle just because you're biased. Give me a 68 Camaro SS any day!

I can express what I do like, I can also express what I don't. Fact is, I think a Dodge is butt ugly...fact is, I feel the same way about Ford. And fastest production car, try again. Although limited, the Saleen S7 is a production car. Besides, you want to talk Dodge Vipers, can you say "lose re-sale value" quicker than it gets from 0-60. Hey pal, we can share our opinion all we want here. I'm not knocking you or anyone else...I'm just expressing my thoughts on Chevys and the others. If you can't handle that...well...get over it.

:nono:

I can express what I do like, I can also express what I don't. Fact is, I think a Dodge is butt ugly...fact is, I feel the same way about Ford. And fastest production car, try again. Although limited, the Saleen S7 is a production car. Besides, you want to talk Dodge Vipers, can you say "lose re-sale value" quicker than it gets from 0-60. Hey pal, we can share our opinion all we want here. I'm not knocking you or anyone else...I'm just expressing my thoughts on Chevys and the others. If you can't handle that...well...get over it.

:nono:

Haha I can handle it just fine....can yall?

Low resale value? Ha...it's hard to find a damn 1994 Viper under 40Gs! Same price as the precious SS.

Haha I can handle it just fine....can yall?

Low resale value? Ha...it's hard to find a damn 1994 Viper under 40Gs! Same price as the precious SS.

'94 for under 40 g's, I've got a buddy that currently has a '97 Viper, he has had it on the market for well over a year priced at $43,000.00 with under 20k mi. He paid cash for it 2 years ago for around $56,000. Now in two years it dropped $13,000 and he still can't get that out of it, huh, I'd call that loss of resale value

You guys know I'm not a "baser", but I just wanted to respond to a couple of comments that have been made in this thread. "Tomorrow" things may change, but lets talk about "today"...

Looks - Each to his own. I don't care for the "semi" look of the ram any more than I do on the new body style F150s. The SS looks better than the ram, (IMO) but the front looks "squinty-eyed" or something. All the new GM products seem to share this trait. Not ugly, just "odd" to my taste...

Power - Lightning - 380/450 (crank rating) stock, can be 400/500 (on the ground) for less than $1500.

speed - Fastest Production Pickup on planet earth (today)

quickness - Most L's run mid 13s "out of the box" with a good driver and good track. One of the "tuners" bought one, filled it with gas and ran a 13.2 (but he's a "great" driver!)

Can't tow crap - some examples - No, it's not a "work" truck, never intended to be. But truly, how many of us "need" to tow more day to day? Yes, bed weight is somewhat limited, but for hauling stuff around the house, I've never had a problem as it's usually a question of "bulk" over weight. NLOC - towing

AWD and expanded seating - just not a selling point for me. Not needed or wanted for my uses and environment.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you're comparing apples and oranges. All they really got in common is that they have a bed, and even those are configured differently, for good reasons...

If you want to compare the larger trucks, try the blown harley s'crew, that's closer to the SS market. The ram (srt-10) essentially doesn't exist, yet. Yes, there are some prototypes, but you can't go buy one. I don't think you can even order one. And the last I read, they won't build more than 3,000 of them a year, so with dealer markup, who's going to spend that money to race them for "fun"?

Reliablility - I've had 3 mopars since 1982. All 3 have let me down badly. Based on that experience, I don't buy them anymore. My Fords will sometimes annoy me, but have yet to leave me on foot. I haven't bought a new chevy in over 30 years, so I can't say. Almost bought a new vette convertible in 01, but it was for the wife and she preferred the BMW - silly as it sounds, the deal breaker on the vette was the manual top... What's up with that?

So in summary, my opinion - truckwise - If you need a working truck with a lot of power, and more seating, the SS or the Harely. If you must have AWD, then it's the SS without a doubt. If you want the newest, hipest, most exotic, most expensive, wait and hope you can get on the list for the SRT-10. If you want a quick, powerful car, but need the flexibility of a pickup, (and that's why I have one) and you want to be able to add power cheaply, or if you just want the fastest production truck on the planet, then it's the L.

Just my thoughts, your mileage may vary...

Waiting to see if the SS reg cab ever comes along.. Could make me a GM customer on my next pu purchase... :D

Hey Ghost,

I agree with much of what you said. And I've always said to each his own. But when I get static from Mopar Performance because I express why I think the SS is the best all around and why I dislike the others, my gloves come off quick. Yes, there are good attributes to the Ford L, the Dodge, etc...but not enough for me to enough consider buying one. Yes I know they are apples and oranges. I just was making a comment. I want my truck to perform like a truck (towing, hauling, snow, etc...) and I also wants looks and some sporty performance. That is why the SS is for me. The Dodge... just ask Ryan Newman how reliable it is...see todays race.

Archived