Not a race, but an "encounter"

Uncle Caleetro

I was cruising down Hall Road tonight in the SS when I saw this weird looking mid-to-late 60's muscle car cruising along. It's letting out a nice rumble, so I speed up to catch up. I pulled along side on the right, and my dad couldn't even identify the car. It was like a mix of three different cars, with no badging on it. It had huge drag slicks, skinny front drag slicks, a big ole' drag deck spoiler, straight out headers, and a full plexiglass window treatment. The hood had a velocity stack and two carbs poking out of it, with dual air cleaners on top. The paint was mostly gray primer with some flat black, and white "outline" flames, not solid. The lady in the passenger seat gives the SS a good look and smiles and gives the thumbs up, so I do the same.

I paced the guy for a mile or so, and he was cruising with a guy in a 55 or 56 Chevy Bel-Air/Biscayne hybrid 6 banger, a late 30's two door coupe done in red with yellow flames and no hood, all with the "No Name Car Club" stickers and no badging what so ever. I think it may have been some odd club that mixes and matches cars to make cool customs. Anyone ever hear of them? Anyways, after I pace the guy for a while my dad tells me to pump the throttle some to see what he does, so I do. The guy just dropped a gear and floored it, squealing his tries at 55 and his headers letting out an ear splitting roar.

The guy in the coupe was now one lane over and I saw him laughing to him self, not sure if it was because he thought I was going to try and race him or what though. I don't think I stopped smiling for half an hour. And sorry for the long post, but they were some awesome cars and it was my first encounter in the SS. :P

Archived