4L80 for my Denali making 525awtq?

I'm at the point where I need a new Trans. The 4L65 just isn't holding up to an extra 200awhp and 225awtq at the wheels. The trans is slipping BAD going from the 1-2 shift. Starts to shift at about 40mph and doesn't actually get into 2nd until about 60mph or so.

It seems even the built 4L65's aren't standing a chance with a lot of power. I also read out here that no one has done the 4L80 swap in their SS? :dunno:

Since I have a Yukon Denali with AWD, is the setup the same? I know the SS has a longer wheelbase, thus some different parts. Does anyone know the possibilities of putting in a 4L80 into a Yukon Denali? Or is this uncharted territory? :sigh:

I'm at the point where I need a new Trans.  The 4L65 just isn't holding up to an extra 200awhp and 225awtq at the wheels.  The trans is slipping BAD going from the 1-2 shift.  Starts to shift at about 40mph and doesn't actually get into 2nd until about 60mph or so.

It seems even the built 4L65's aren't standing a chance with a lot of power.  I also read out here that no one has done the 4L80 swap in their SS? :dunno:

Since I have a Yukon Denali with AWD, is the setup the same?  I know the SS has a longer wheelbase, thus some different parts.  Does anyone know the possibilities of putting in a 4L80 into a Yukon Denali?  Or is this uncharted territory?  :sigh:

Look here:

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...wtopic=9194&hl=

I'm at the point where I need a new Trans.  The 4L65 just isn't holding up to an extra 200awhp and 225awtq at the wheels.  The trans is slipping BAD going from the 1-2 shift.  Starts to shift at about 40mph and doesn't actually get into 2nd until about 60mph or so.

It seems even the built 4L65's aren't standing a chance with a lot of power.  I also read out here that no one has done the 4L80 swap in their SS? :dunno:

Since I have a Yukon Denali with AWD, is the setup the same?  I know the SS has a longer wheelbase, thus some different parts.  Does anyone know the possibilities of putting in a 4L80 into a Yukon Denali?  Or is this uncharted territory?   :sigh:

Look here:

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...wtopic=9194&hl=

Ahhhh yes.... read that one.

That doesn't answer the question as to whether the setup is different on the Denali when compared to the SS. Does anyone know? :pop:

well, i just read your post over at tech. i think for your application the 65E is what you might want to stick it out with for a while. the 80E conversion if and when it does come about is going to be rather expensive and quite complicated to boot. the hp level you are currently at a well built 65E can take. the weight of your truck makes it pretty hard on it, but i'd say you'll be safe for quite a while. if the 80E conversion comes about i'd expect the whole deal to run about 4k for the swap if you can imagine that to go with more drivetrain loss.

as for the swap on the denali, i think it will be the same for your year denali as an SS. the newer one's use a different case all together, but i believe it's a doable thing with yours. even if an SS t-case is needed. i believe both use the 149 series case?

i believe the newer one's are running the same system as the cadilac with the open differential in the transfercase instead of a viscous coupler. i could be incorrect on this, but i haven't much looked into it. not sure what all changes are done there either internally other than the differential part of it.

well, i just read your post over at tech. i think for your application the 65E is what you might want to stick it out with for a while. the 80E conversion if and when it does come about is going to be rather expensive and quite complicated to boot. the hp level you are currently at a well built 65E can take. the weight of your truck makes it pretty hard on it, but i'd say you'll be safe for quite a while. if the 80E conversion comes about i'd expect the whole deal to run about 4k for the swap if you can imagine that to go with more drivetrain loss.

as for the swap on the denali, i think it will be the same for your year denali as an SS. the newer one's use a different case all together, but i believe it's a doable thing with yours. even if an SS t-case is needed. i believe both use the 149 series case?

My worry is running into what quite a few others have. Blowing a built 65, over and over again. What would the cost on that be? Even if it's covered, $700 to remove and another $700 to reinstall could add up. You're right, I'd hate to drop $4000 completed for an 80 though... :banghead:

I honestly think an FLP would hold up to stock cubes + STS. You do live in a state that is actually hotter than hell, though, so it might pay to do the conversion just for the sake of knowing it won't break.

My break might be nothing too -- could be a fluke -- I didn't do anything that should have broken the reverse drum...

I honestly think an FLP would hold up to stock cubes + STS.  You do live in a state that is actually hotter than hell, though, so it might pay to do the conversion just for the sake of knowing it won't break.

My break might be nothing too -- could be a fluke -- I didn't do anything that should have broken the reverse drum...

What kind of numbers are you putting down to the ground now? I'm not so sure it would be "cubes + STS" as much as just sheer power. :lol:

Sorry to backtrack, but Zippy is correct, the 2002 Yukon Denali uses exactly the same NVG149 AWD transfer case and drivetrain as the SS and Sierra Denali.

In 2003, the Yukon Denali's and Caddys changed to an open center diff and use the ABS braking system to slow down the spinning wheel to give "kind of" AWD. It's not nearly as good as our 149 true AWD! Be glad you have an 02! A couple of guys have put blowers on the 2003 and up and have to shut off the ABS braking system to get it to go straight down the track. The ABS was overcompensating and making the truck lurch side to side!

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

Edited by AWDGM (see edit history)

I honestly think an FLP would hold up to stock cubes + STS.  You do live in a state that is actually hotter than hell, though, so it might pay to do the conversion just for the sake of knowing it won't break.

What kind of numbers are you putting down to the ground now? I'm not so sure it would be "cubes + STS" as much as just sheer power. :lol:

Well, I don't know for sure, but I know I can spin /slip all the way through first gear while feathering the throttle (gotta love good logging software -- I have no memory of doing this -- I guess good habits die hard), break something in the tranny, pressurize the crank case and blow oil all over the motor, and run a 12.58 quarter (gtech pro rr) in my first tuning run with a huge ass exhaust leak on the driver's side :D (-25 ltft in one bank, +25 in the other lol)

A little update -- the local Chuck did some poking this a.m. and said it seems like reverse gear has reverse and forward on at the same time (a.k.a. transbreak) and that neutral also has a forward gear. I hadn't noticed those symptoms yesterday.