FLP L5 died again

I think this truck is too heavy for a 65E with this much power. Seems like I lost the reverse input drum.

Could be something else, I suppose, but I don't know what. I have all forward gears, and the neutral safety switch shows it in reverse, but there is nothing at the wheels.

I made one 1/4 tuning run... During that run I believe it started slipping and I turned around let it cool off and started on the second run -- it spun all through 1st gear and jumped sideways on the shift, but then went really slow...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think this truck is too heavy for a 65E with this much power.  Seems like I lost the reverse input drum.

You may be right Beserker. How much torque you reckon you're making now? You'rte definitely getting into your own "stupid fast" category.

You may have to move up to the 80E and jerry-rig or ditch the AWD.

Maybe talk to Zippy, and the guys at JAG too. I know FLP makes a good product but our new sponsor may have some ideas, too. I would exhaust the possibilities before doing anything more drastic. :cool:

The biggest limitation we have adding big power to these trucks is the tranny. I love my SSS but sometimes still wish I had started out with a 2500 HD.

welcome to the club. Making stuff do what it was intended not to. I bet you are starting to get little fustrated but I wouldn't sweat it. You are getting to the point were you will have a fast ride once all is fixed.

Remember, if you are not breaking parts its not fast enoguh.

TJ

Well, Chuck doesn't know what to think... Since reverse went -- have to wait a see what he finds when he pulls it apart.

I can say this, I'll either be doing another FLP or not a 65E. No offense meant to any vendors or Zippy, but I've already PAID for the FLP :) Either way, Chuck will be taking care of me.

I honestly no longer really believe any 65E is ever going to hold this motor.

I can say this, I'll either be doing another FLP or not a 65E.  No offense meant to any vendors or Zippy, but I've already PAID for the FLP :)  Either way, Chuck will be taking care of me.

I understand completely. Just thought they might have some ideas on how to further beef up the 60/65.

If the other thread is accurate and the 80E can now be adapted to the AWD Xfer case that would be the way to go for sure. Yours would probably be the perfect test setup. Good luck. :seeya:

welcome to the club. Making stuff do what it was intended not to. I bet you are starting to get  little fustrated but I wouldn't sweat it. You are getting to the point were you will have a fast ride once all is fixed.

Remember, if you are not breaking parts its not fast enoguh.

TJ

i hear you loud and clear TJ. damn bad luck on these trannys, hope you get something done that works well!!!!

Erik:

This thing just sounds like an absolute M O N S T E R... you may be the prime candidate to get that 80E setup and see if you can break it :D

I have my doubts that even the most built 65E you can find is going to stand up to that much punishment.

On the bright side... at least you know your making an absolutely SILLY amount of power! :crazy:

Congrats and good luck! :cheers:

Strangely, hearing you guys congratulate me on breaking another tranny is somehow making me feel better. That's funny :crackup:

I'm with ya Zippy. If I'm even 90% of Parish's torque, that means 750 ft/lbs to the wheels. Plus with AWD making it hook, there's not a lot of room cushion there.

We'll see what Chuck has to say when he gets it apart, but I'm not very hopeful.

I'd let him keep developing if there is any hope, but breaking the thing the first time I make full power both times is kind of a bad sign IMO.

what you might have to do is change your timing tables. sort of a self built torque management. guys running nitrous use a window switch to control this, you might have to come out off idle and drop timing on the shifts just to get it to hold together until you get an 85E in there.

Archived