Annoying Chime

TexaSS

Is it possible to get rid of that stupid chiming noise that goes off when the door is opened and the key is in the ignition.......i know you can turn the volume down holding 6 on the radio......but its still pretty annoying...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are too lazy to go look up the link, here is the important part. I am kinda tempted to try this.

Remove the knee bolster underneath the steering wheel. Find the BCM (body control module). There are 3 large connectors going into the BCM. From left to right they are numbered J2, J3 & J4. In J4 locate the wire going to pin connecter A1. The wire is light green. Unhook this wire by pulling the retainer off the back, then pull on the wire while shoving a tiny screwdriver up the whole until it submits and slides out. (Actually the release is on the side closest to the middle of the plug in the whole. Tape the lose wire up and reassemble.  

This actaully works!!!! No more chimes for the doors. Now I just need to be careful not to lock my keys in the car :D. A long time ago, I learned to keep a spare car key in my wallet, so I won't worry about that too much.

Remove fuse panel cover

HPIM0427.jpg

Loosen the instrument cluster bezel by pulling on the corners and then the middle parts. This made it easier for me to get the knee bolster out.

HPIM0414.jpg

Remove the two screws that hold the knee bolster.

HPIM0426.jpg

Pin and clip that hold the top of the knee bolster in place. Knee bolster comes out by pulling outward (directly towards you if you are sitting in the drivers seat).

HPIM0425.jpg

Knee bolster removed. The colored wires in the center of the pic are the connectors to the BCM.

HPIM0416.jpg

The connector on the right is the one you want. I had to pull the BCM down a bit to get the connector clear of the big chunk of metal under the steering column. Remove by putting small screw driver under gray plastic clip on the underside of the connector.

HPIM0419.jpg

Once free from the BCM, remove the gray clip with small screw driver on the two places where it clips to the blue connector

HPIM0420.jpg

Green wire in the lower left is the one we want. (took this pic after the wire had been removed)

HPIM0422.jpg

Coming at it from this angle finally worked for me. Notice that I chewed up the blue plasctic a bit, it seems to be rather soft plastic.

HPIM0423.jpg

Once remove, Put some electrical tape around the bare pin.

Reassemble in reverse order (I have always wanted to say that :D ). Be careful that the plastic pins are in their holes before you hammer the instrument cluster bezel back in place.

This actaully works!!!!  No more chimes for the doors.  Now I just need to be careful not to lock my keys in the car :D.  A long time ago,  I learned to keep a spare car key in my wallet, so I won't worry about that too much.

Reassemble in reverse order (I have always wanted to say that :D ).  Be careful that the plastic pins are in their holes before you hammer the instrument cluster bezel back in place.

Very Nice dcairns :D

Before anyone goes and tries this, check to see if you can access the connector before disassembly of any of the panels.

Great job by dcairns in putting the step-by-step together, but I didn't need to remove anything but the connector. I went to my truck with a jeweler's screwdriver, pair of needle nose pliers (to pull wire out), and a roll of electrical tape and was done in less than three minutes.

I didn't remove any panels and was able to access the plug from underneath. Too easy!

One last thing on removing the wire and getting rid of the chime. What I didn't realize, although eluded to in someone's input, is that you actually "can" lock the key in the ignition now. Ordinarily, the driver's door will not lock with the key in the ignition. Removing the wire takes away the chime, but also takes away the idiot protection. So, like everything else I guess, it's a trade-off.

One last thing on removing the wire and getting rid of the chime. What I didn't realize, although eluded to in someone's input, is that you actually "can" lock the key in the ignition now. Ordinarily, the driver's door will not lock with the key in the ignition. Removing the wire takes away the chime, but also takes away the idiot protection. So, like everything else I guess, it's a trade-off.

Yup, what we really would like is a volume control for the chime. (anyone from GM listening?) But I will settle for getting rid of it.