2.9 Radix Pulley Too Much Boost?

yorgog

Larger lower pulleys can be had and I'd recommend a larger lower with a 3.0 to reduce slip.

I just picked up a couple of larger idler pulleys for this purpose. Performance has been great but I have still seen a fair amount of black residue on the front of the blower, which I am assuming is from belt slip. :sigh:

I also agree that by 6000 RPM the Radix with a 2.9" pulley is pretty much spent. :sick:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Larger lower pulleys can be had and I'd recommend a larger lower with a 3.0 to reduce slip.

I just picked up a couple of larger idler pulleys for this purpose. Performance has been great but I have still seen a fair amount of black residue on the front of the blower, which I am assuming is from belt slip. :sigh:

I also agree that by 6000 RPM the Radix with a 2.9" pulley is pretty much spent. :sick:

If the original reference is to a larger crank pulley, they can be had. But, along with that comes a pretty large price tag. We're talking $600+. They have to be custom made. Larger ones come fairly easy for f-bodies, but for a truck much higher. Not the same pulley.

In the long run, may be worth it if you preferred not to spin the blower so high.

If anyone knows of one readily available, or cheaper, please let us know.

• 1 month later...

i also agree that the 2.9 is the better pulley choice for performance and daily driving.

as for keeping the stock programming and the 2.9 pulley, you might have too much timing and run into alot of KR*.

as for keeping the stock programming and the 2.9 pulley, you might have too much timing and run into alot of KR*.

actually, I think the magnuson tune is pretty low on timing. Fueling may be off, but it shouldn't have too much timing. Of course thats whee a tune will really maximize your gains. If you spend $5k on a blower, its worth it to spend a couple hundred more for a fine tune.

Cool.

Do you have any way to log data from your truck? You could just swap pulleys then watch the results. You may find that its good as is or you may see more knock retard. But you won't know anything for sure without watching it. Plus, the mail order tune will get better if you send hard data pulled from your truck.

I ran my radix w/ 3" pulley on my hot N/A tune with 28* of timing to begin with. Of course I didn't beat on it, but did test little bursts of WOT.

Cool.

Do you have any way to log data from your truck?  You could just swap pulleys then watch the results.  You may find that its good as is or you may see more knock retard.  But you won't know anything for sure without watching it.  Plus, the mail order tune will get better if you send hard data pulled from your truck. 

I ran my radix w/ 3" pulley on my hot N/A tune with 28* of timing to begin with.  Of course I didn't beat on it, but did test little bursts of WOT.

How is your tuning on that thing coming, Richard? Ever get it tweaked out?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well after a pretty bad first intall of the supercharger I got it redone by J&M Motorsports (Corvettes) in Manchester, Ct. They did a great job. Although there is one problem I found the hard way. I was getting too much boost and blew the motor. I dont know if it has anything to do with the pulley, the cam or too aggressive of a tune. I was a little upset at first but I fugured It would get me to do my inevitable next step sooner than later. I am doing an SLP 402 short block in it. The only thing that does is it sets me back till the end of the winter to do a Pro-Charger in my C6 Corvette. The truck did run real aggressively with the set up I had. I should be getting the truck back at the end of September when it gets back from the engine builder.

Wow, a Radix with a 2.9" and blown engine. Must have gotten real lean.. Was it tuned for the 2.9"? It would almost have to be a tune problem. A 2.9 doesn't produce enough boost to take out these motors.

Putting the Radix on the 402?

Will the Radix even feed the 402  :confused:

Mr. P.

It'll feed it, but maybe not so adequately. Meaning he'll probably be very boost limited. The compressor is almost too small for 364 cubes. Just based on past experiences of others, maybe 6 pounds of boost. Cam choice gets hard also. You want the larger cam, but going too big affects the blower.

Archived