2.9 Radix Pulley Too Much Boost?

yorgog

i agree with ben for sure. the radix is unable to overboost a 6.0L even with the LQ9 having 10.0:1 compression. as long as you have the system set up properly the 6.0L can handle all a radix will throw at it. on a 402 you can run a radix, but you'd have to keep it cammed very mild with stock or very lightly ported heads to even make it worth having it on there. a very mild 402 with a radix would be a torque monster. top end power however wouldn't be much more than a well modified 402.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am keeping the Radix. The problem could have been caused by the installer. They also did the cam, pushrods and springs for me. I was getting close to 10-11 pounds of boost. I am doing a cam 212/221 .510 .510 @ 116. Hopefully I can get the results I am looking for. I dont know who to blame the original installer or the person who did the tune. Tough one. Just goes to show you should do your homework before choosing an installer to give you peace of mind. They were so bad that they even insalled the flex-a-lite fans backwards. Blowing the wrong way.

10 - 11 psi with the 2.9" :confused:

I am currently running the 2.8 and only see 8.5psi MAX. My cam specs are: 214/222 .559/.566 on a 115LSA. I know I am "leakinig" a little boost but I would LOVE to have 10psi. :sigh:

I am keeping the Radix. The problem could have been caused by the installer. They also did the cam, pushrods and springs for me. I was getting close to 10-11 pounds of boost. I am doing a cam 212/221 .510 .510 @ 116. Hopefully I can get the results I am looking for. I dont know who to blame the original installer or the person who did the tune. Tough one. Just goes to show you should do your homework before choosing an installer to give you peace of mind. They were so bad that they even insalled the flex-a-lite fans backwards. Blowing the wrong way.

Was it tuned though? I can see getting 10lbs of boost and maybe only being tuned for 5-6 doing something. Still, 10-11lbs of boost is not enough to grenade one of these motors. Turbo/ATI guys are running that with ease and having no problems.

The reason I ask is this. If that place tuned you, then it's their fault you are left with a blown motor. Not because you asked them to put on a 2.9 pulley. If that is the case, I be damned if I would want them to build me a $4k 402. Unless of course, that is what they wanted out of you to begin with. If it's the same place doing your 402.

I'm not sure a improper install could cause that kind of damage, not with still getting 10-11lbs of boost. Sounds like it was installed right if it did that well. I could get nearly 10lbs after my head install, and over 10lbs before the head install.

I had wester's do the tune. The original installer was not good at all. J&M Motorsports in Manchester only basically cleaned up thier work. They did not do anything to the tune. They basically stepped in to help me out in a bad situation. They did not even want to touch it but were doing me a favor. They really didnt know what they really did at the first shop. Even after trying to call the first shop they said the tech that did the work for me was not even employed there anymore so we could not even get that much feedback. That is why I kind of am happy that the entire thing is going to be taken apart and done right.

wasn't the 10psi with the 2.75 pulley on there ben?

If I had kept the stock heads, I think that I still would have gotten over 10 with the 2.9 pulley. After head swap and down to the 2.9 from a 2.75, I was still getting 9+. I didn't even try a 2.9 pulley with the stock heads. I went straight from the 3.30 to the 2.75.

Yes, there is a bypass valve, but it is kind of the opposite of a waste gate. The bypass valve allows air to bypass the supercharger under low or no load situations. It closes to allow boost to build. Since superchargers are belt driven the boost stays in step with the engine, so there is no need to vent excess boost, as can occur with a turbo.

Is there a bypass valve that opens up if the supercharger boost pressure gets above a preset level?...sort of like a wastegate or blow-off valve found on turbo systems.

unless the blower pulley magicly spins faster than the belt is turning it overboosting shouldn't be a concern.

Thanks for the input guys.

With a smaller pulley, an overboost bypass on a supercharger could be good if you want more boost at low rpm's and then taper off the boost at higher rpm's.

I guess this would only work if the bypass valve could actually proportion the boost levels as opposed to being like a simple "boost/no boost" switch.

Just a theory.

• 3 months later...

Well I got the truck back after a while. I totaly fried the first cylinder. They say that that is common in that cylinder. I got the 402 in there and got everything beefed up so I dont have the problem again. I am getting about 7 pounds of boost from the radix. Off the line it is way more powerful which means more torque. It is about the same as it was before after the initial start which is probably from the loss of some boost. The truck is much smoother though. I have it all the way lean. I think I am going to need bigger injectors. If anyone has any that they would suggest let me know. When you punch it the truck almost goes sideways. We have some snow up here in Connecticut so i really cant get on it that hard yet. I did have the belt jump one rib once but it didnt do it again after that. I put just under 400 miles on it and I couldnt be happier right now.

Archived