2.9 Radix Pulley Too Much Boost?

yorgog

I am putting a Radix on my SS. What is the best pulley you guys recommend. I see a lot of people using the 3.0. Do you think I should go to 2.9 or do you think that would be too much boost and it would hurt my Motor. Remember this is my everyday vehicle but I am not afraid of it being to obnoxious. I dont ride my family around in it. I also have a Yank 3000tt with billet servos and oversized pressure boost valve to give you an Idea how I don't mind it jerking around too much. Let me know what you guys think. I want to do this once and I want to do it right.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on your comfort level with how much you want to spin your blower. I had a 2.75" and ended up going back to a 2.9" pulley. IMO, it's the best overall pulley to go with. It worked better with the increase in timing vs more boost with the 2.75".

First you have to figure out where you want to shift. So, let's just say that your highest rpm shift was the 1-2 shift and you wanted to do that @6200 rpms.

Based on that:

Stock crank pulley = 7.75"

Radix pulley = 2.9"

RPMs = 6200

NUMBERS USED FOR EXAMPLE ONLY

7.75"/2.9" X 6200 = 16,569 blower RPMs

3.0" comparison

7.75"/3.0" X 6200 = 16,017 blower RPMs

Magna says they can handle 18,000, but that's not advertised.

Depends on your comfort level with how much you want to spin your blower.  I had a 2.75" and ended up going back to a 2.9" pulley.  IMO, it's the best overall pulley to go with.  It worked better with the increase in timing vs more boost with the 2.75".

I plan on going back to a 2.9 now that I finally have bought my own tuning software.

Of course I have new heads and long tubes to add too. :thumbs:

I measured a stock crank pulley last month, and I think its really a 7.625" diameter. Of course its probably a metric measurement, but its more than 7.5 but less than 7.75, that I do know.

As far as I know, the cranks from the 4.8. 5.3, and 6.0 are all the same diameter for all year models.

My Radix was mistakenly shipped with a 3.1 pulley, and I have been runing that for 30,000 miles with the standard tune and our wonderful Southern California premium gas, which is only 91 octane :( . So you could run the 3.1 quite safely.

I think the smallest pulley actually manufactured by Magnuson is the 2.9", which they officially recommend for high altitude applications. Other shops such as Pulley Boys and South Florida Pulley make aluminum pulleys down to 2.75" which can be safely used on a Radix with the proper tuning.

It seems most guys on this board are happiest with the 2.9" and 3.0" pulleys. These may be optimal on the LQ9. Mine is just a tad smaller at 2.85" ;)

i have had my radix in for about 23k miles now. its my daily driver and i love it. before i installed the 2.9 pulley, i was using a 3.0 with magnas tune. it ran fine. 14.2 at the track. then i went to a 2.9, 160* t-stat, and a custom tune and ran a 13.5 et. :thumbs: much better.

1st with a stock cam don't shift at 6200. Your better off shifting at 58 or 59 hundred and spining the crap out of the blower. Magnason shipped my Radix with a 2.8 pulley and a sticker that said the blower was for off road use only LOL...

Larger lower pulleys can be had and I'd recommend a larger lower with a 3.0 to reduce slip. You can be more boost from the 112 but don't bother with High RPM shift points if you want the most out of your 112...it's done by 58 or 59 hundred and probably sooner if you have a larger cam with overlap.

Just my .02 cents

Archived