SS and the Snow

SS_man_62

422 members have voted

1. 1. SS and the Snow

• yes, I will store my SS when the snow comes
    • No, It has AWD I will drive it year round!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

ss is the best vehicle ive ever driven in the snow, hands down. ive driven through winters:

2 jeep cherokees

1 86 grand prix

one dakota r/t (with designated snow tires)

1 durango

and the ss

as long as youre on road, the ss is the best. the abs system is effective but not obtrusive, and you can leave the stoplights without drama (unless you want to have some fun, which i do)

• 4 weeks later...
How do you guys think a AWD SS would do on the sand?

the ss is amazing in the sand snow mudd and all rough turrain. i went to glamis not to long ago and for those who dont kno glamis its all sand and i was climbin some steep shit that some lifted trucks were not able to make..

all i have got to say is this....

I needed a truck. I got a truck.

Yes.. I have a very very very very very nice truck..

but it still is a truck.

I will baby the thing and tuck it in every single night.

But.... I will use it to its fullest

(though, this year since I am in college. I will leave it at home and take my

other truck up to school. THere is no sence in letting it sit outside FULLY

out in the open douring the worst times)

I'm with the majority.. I live in Indy and we get our share of snow in the winter. Anywhere from 2" to 10" and you never know when it's coming. I've owned a Z71, a 2WD Ford, and a 2WD Chevy. You can drive a 2WD in the winter, but why do it if you don't have to?? I'm selling my bike so I decided I still wanted something fast yet need something practical. It's the perfect vehicle...fast as hell, looks great, has a bed, towing capabilities, and I can drive it in the snow. And if you're as anal as me, you'll wash it so damn much that snow and salt don't matter! :driving::thumbs:

im gettin ready to take a 3 week trip to mammoth in about a month and there has already been snow and its october and thats a goood sign of alot of snow to come... this will be the first time i have takin it to mammoth and cant wait to see how it does... i hope i dont need chains.... going from mountain high to mammoth is goin to be a big change in road and snow conditions...

Ive had my 03 SS with a vortech supercharger, As my Daily driver for a year. I am Located in the interior of Alaska where for 9 months all the truck see's is snow and Ice and ambient temperatures reaching -60 degrees farinheight. I ran all year on General Grabber UHP tires, wich are not even all seasons. And It is the best winter truck I have driven.(much better then it's 4 wheel drive counter part because it sit lower, more stable and does not get drivline wind up when truning) IMO.

post-13153-1192653495_thumb.jpg

post-13153-1192653562_thumb.jpg

Ive had my 03 SS with a vortech supercharger, As my Daily driver for a year. I am Located in the interior of Alaska where for 9 months all the truck see's is snow and Ice and ambient temperatures reaching -60 degrees farinheight. I ran all year on General Grabber UHP tires, wich are not even all seasons. And It is the best winter truck I have driven.(much better then it's 4 wheel drive counter part because it sit lower, more stable and does not get drivline wind up when truning) IMO.

Negative 60??!! HOLY CRAP that's cold!! :eek:

Just when I thought I had made a decision on new tires!

I'm in Iowa - we can get our fair share of snow here in the midwest. I'm really interested with Riddler's report of great successs with the General Grabber UHP in snow. I need tires bad - a must do purchase for me before this winter's first snow. Yes, the SSS is going to remain a DD and will see as much snow as we get. Most recently I had begun to settle into thinking I'd go with the Cooper Discoverer HT Plus because of its reported abilities to handle well on snow and ice, but does anyone else have success stories with UHP / summer tires in the snow? I'm not asking for a global review, just unique successes of summer tires that were consistently used through winter months.

Jared

• 2 weeks later...
Just when I thought I had made a decision on new tires!

I'm in Iowa - we can get our fair share of snow here in the midwest. I'm really interested with Riddler's report of great successs with the General Grabber UHP in snow. I need tires bad - a must do purchase for me before this winter's first snow. Yes, the SSS is going to remain a DD and will see as much snow as we get. Most recently I had begun to settle into thinking I'd go with the Cooper Discoverer HT Plus because of its reported abilities to handle well on snow and ice, but does anyone else have success stories with UHP / summer tires in the snow? I'm not asking for a global review, just unique successes of summer tires that were consistently used through winter months.

Jared

I'm on my third set of tires and going into my fourth winter....the Goodyear Eagle LS that came with the truck.....2nd set Falken ZIEX S/TZ-04, great tire, super mileage, handling (wet, snow etc) and the new tires I have on are Sumitomo HTR Sport H/P....the last two sets.....good tires without the additional cost of the big brand names

Archived