Step by step how to Clear 03+ Headlights

Sick Boy

i can't for the life of me get the headlights apart, i've baked them for 10-15 minutes at 200 degrees twice and they wont budge, i'm ending up thrashing the outside (black) part, and cracking the lense around the edge a little, what am I missing here??

On another note, got the parking lights apart easy, already finished painting the amber now just gotta put em together

this is why i don't want to do it myself. i am going to pay another guy on the site to do it for me.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i can't for the life of me get the headlights apart, i've baked them for 10-15 minutes at 200 degrees twice and they wont budge, i'm ending up thrashing the outside (black) part, and cracking the lense around the edge a little, what am I missing here??

On another note, got the parking lights apart easy, already finished painting the amber now just gotta put em together

Yeah the headlights are an absolute biatch. The oven did not help me, either. I just had to keep working at the seal with an xacto knife, and I used a couple flat-blade screwdrivers as spreaders. I do remember concentrating on the inside & bottom edges of the lights (not the amber/outside edge) the inside & bottom edge will begin to separate and once it does you can insert the screwdriver blades as a wedge. The OEM seal is too strong to allow you to pull or pry it apart, you've got to cut through it. Don't worry about damage to the black housing as long as it's not extreme, I ended-up with minor "fraying" in a couple spots but no breakage and the black silicone still sealed everything well and you couldn't tell afterwards.

Mr. P. :)

P, you did the same thing i did. i have now done 3 sets of these, all different methods in attempt to find the best. what i found was using a heat gun (mine had two settings 700/1000F). i heated up one section at a time, using a thin flatblade screwdriver turned on its side and slid it back and forth (at a slight angle as to get behind the clear lense). after doing this process about three times, take a wider screwdriver and gently pry the corners (starting away from the amber part). after gently prying the two inside corners, they should pull the silicon apart on about half the lense. next, pry gently from the middle until the lense pulls free of every part except the amber side. now heat the amber side, and gently pull the lense away from the housing. it will come free, with minimal distortion of the housing (if your careful! this is most important). heres my favorite part..... for those of you who are absolute perfectionists (such as myself ;) ) and dont want to have the headlight housing look modified AT ALL, you can fix those little distortions where you pryed. before you put the lense back on, make sure you clear just about ALL of the old silicon off. i found a little wire brush wheel on a dremel to work fantastic for the lense. a narrow flat blade screwdriver works great for the housing as well. before gluing, grab a set of pliars and start to heat one housing edge with the heat gun. as you heat, squeeze the edge/lip together, aligning it as it was stock. as your squeezing, apply a fair ammount of heat to the area. stop heating, and hold for a few seconds. you have now temporarily changed the characterists of the plastic and reinstated them in another shape (original shape in this case). no matter how bad a moved/distorted the edges, the plastic would conform however i liked. not only does this give the appearance that they were never apart, but also will GREATLY aid in properly sealing the lights. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

well after several failed attempts on the headlights i started with the turn signals and got them apart and then moved on to the headlights. you have to be determined to get it done!! dont be afraid to pry the crap out of the housing so you can cut the silicone. i used a heated razor knife that i use to remove decals to get started on the edges. thanks for everyones directions!! i couldnt have done it without it!! :cheers:

So is anyone here doing this as a paid service still? I'd love to get this done but after hearing these horror stories I think I'd rather pay someone to do it...

Somebody PM me if you want to do this for me, I'll pay for new headlights/bumper lights to be bought at your local dealership and then a little extra for your work...

laynlow77 was doing it. send him a pm.

I've PM'd him here as well as over at PerformanceTruck which he read, emailed him and he wont respond to me. Not sure why, maybe I pi55ed him off somehow, if so I apologize. Anyhow, he wont respond to me, maybe someone else will have better luck

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
well after several failed attempts on the headlights i started with the turn signals and got them apart and then moved on to the headlights. you have to be determined to get it done!! dont be afraid to pry the crap out of the housing so you can cut the silicone. i used a heated razor knife that i use to remove decals to get started on the edges. thanks for everyones directions!! i couldnt have done it without it!! :cheers:

i agree wit Rausche will it be the same process wit my headlights? i got a 99 5.3??? can anyone do them for me????

and if the headlight reflectors are smoked will it affect my light output at night?? i got 6k HID =D=D thanks..if anyone can do it for me get at my email plz!! [email protected]

post-12619-1210437492_thumb.jpg

Archived