transfer case fluid

does the transfer case and the transmission share fluid or are they seperate. i am using tci trans fluid in the transmission and wondered if i should drain the case

no, i would og out on a limb, and say the T-case uses some sort of ghear oil. the reason we have the fluid we do in our trans is because of the torque converter, the fluid is vital to the proper workings of the trans.

Automotive transfer cases and transmissions do not share fluid. However, many times they both call for the same type of fluid as service replacement; the transfer case also employs a planetary gear drive system, so it should also call for ATF like the tranny. In my experience yes, you should plan to R&R the transfer case fluid when changing tranny fluid/filter. I do not have the SS manual here with me or I would look-up and post the recommended capacities and fluid type...

Mr. P. :)

Two quarts will do it for the NVG149 case. I've changed mine twice now! The first change at 5k miles it came out very silvery (aluminum), at 15k miles it was clean and clear of anything. The GM blue autotrac fluid is the best you could put in, followed by any synthetic ATF like Mobil one, or last choice the stock fluid Dexron III ATF.

FYI....if the dealer has any noise issues in any transfer case, they put the blue Autotrac fluid in!

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

• 3 weeks later...
Two quarts will do it for the NVG149 case. I've changed mine twice now! The first change at 5k miles it came out very silvery (aluminum), at 15k miles it was clean and clear of anything. The GM blue autotrac fluid is the best you could put in, followed by any synthetic ATF like Mobil one, or last choice the stock fluid Dexron III ATF.

FYI....if the dealer has any noise issues in any transfer case, they put the blue Autotrac fluid in!

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

So the Auto Trak fluid will not hurt anything? What's the difference between that and DexIII?

So the factory fluid is better than the mobile 1 syn. fluid?

No. He said as a last choice use the stock fluid.

As far as GM goes with part numbers, they don't share the same fluid. However, when you go to replace with a synthetic, or whatever, they will get the same fluid.

Differentials use a gear lube, like a 75W-90, 80W-90,....

Auto Trak II fluid is available at the dealer parts counter. I threw my receipt away and I forget how much it cost, but it was priced similarly to other premium full synthetic fluids. I want to say ...$6-7 per quart??

Reading between the lines of a couple TSBs, the blue Auto Trak II diff fluid was developed in response to 'slip-stick' shuddering problems in AWD transfer case clutch packs. Apparently GM added preload to the clutch packs in 1999, and those units started burning up the fluid. "The AUTO-TRAK II fluid contains an improved friction modifier that should correct the slip-stick condition" according to GM Bulletin #99-04-21-005b-(09/10/2002).

I have no idea how the stuff compares to AMSOIL or Mobil1; I would like to find out as I have been very impressed with AMSOIL in the past so I will probably look into that in the future.

Mr. P. :)

Sidenote - if your transfer case does shudder the prescribed fix is to flush and refil with Auto Trak II fluid, drive 5 miles, then flush and fill again; the clutches are supposed to free-up within the next 100 miles of service.

$6.34 a quart. Mainly it's for the New Process 246 electronically shifted transfer case. I'm just wondering if the Auto Trak fluid would be better in the NV149, or will it really matter? I don't have a problem with mine, no shuddering or anything, or noise for that matter. Probably going to service it this summer, and was thinking of changing to that. Is it better, or worse? Or should I just leave well enough alone?

I had no noises in my NVG149 either. My first change I used M1, the second I used the GM blue. I felt no difference between the 2, or 3 if you include the stock fluid.

Which is best.....good question!!!! It's probably a tossup between the GM Blue and any of the synthetics!

NVG149 takes exactly 2 qts BTW.

It's kind of tough to get the fluid in too. I drilled and tapped the cover of the lube bottle and screwed in a 1/4npt barbed fitting for 3/8 hose and added a foot long piece of tubing. That gave enough room to get the bottle high enough to squirt it all in.

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

Archived