Is there a way to get better gas mileage

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

right from the owners manual.

For all except vehicles with the 6.0L V8 (VIN Code N) engine, use regular unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of 87 or higher. If the octane is less than 87, you may get a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, you might damage your engine. A little pinging noise when you accelerate or drive uphill is considered normal. This does not indicate a problem exists or that a higher-octane fuel is necessary. If you are using 87 octane or higher-octane fuel and hear heavy knocking, your engine needs service.

If you have the 6.0L V8 (VIN Code N) engine, use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of 91 or higher for best performance. You may also use middle grade or regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but your vehicle's acceleration may be slightly reduced. If the octane is less than 87, you may get a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, you might damage your engine.

For all except vehicles with the 6.0L V8 (VIN Code N) engine, use regular unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of 87 or higher. If the octane is less than 87, you may get a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, you might damage your engine. A little pinging noise when you accelerate or drive uphill is considered normal. This does not indicate a problem exists or that a higher-octane fuel is necessary. If you are using 87 octane or higher-octane fuel and hear heavy knocking, your engine needs service.

If you have the 6.0L V8 (VIN Code N) engine, use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of 91 or higher for best performance. You may also use middle grade or regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but your vehicle's acceleration may be slightly reduced. If the octane is less than 87, you may get a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, you might damage your engine.

Thanks Zippy. I have been using BP Amoco 87 since day one and have had zero knocking.

the stock programming is pretty light, but you shouldn't hear any spark knock anyway. it's going to begin pulling timing right away and go to the low octane table not long after that. all you're doing is giving up power.

the stock programming is pretty light, but you shouldn't hear any spark knock anyway. it's going to begin pulling timing right away and go to the low octane table not long after that. all you're doing is giving up power.

And gas mileage!

Running 93 will get better gas mileage because the tune will stay at it's higher more efficient octane table. The cost should be a wash, making the extra power free. Why run 87???? :dunno:

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

Rough crowd here...

Bone stock, I couldn't get much better than 16-16.5mpg on the DIC, no mattehere WHERE or HOW I drove. (city, highway, heavy, light. etc.)

Over time I added/did a number of mods, which my my mileage up considerably. It's been over a year, so I don't recall exact numbers for each mod anymore... The mods were:

- Good low resistance plug wires. Cleans up/smooths out the lower rpm, light throttle acceleration, just a bit.

- Cotton-gauze drop-in air filter. I'm pretty stubborn about the stock airbox. I don't think any other box on the market is as effient at the stocker with a drop in filter.

- E-fans. Free's up power.

- B&B dual exhaust. I was very surprised when I gained lowend power from a dual exhaust system. It takes less pedal to cruise around and get up the hills around here.

With these mods here, I was getting over 21mpg scanned on the DIC, on the same old daily route I used to get 16.5mpg on.

Things that will HURT mileage:

- Long idle/warmup times.

- Changing shift points from factory settings. (or using tow/haul a lot).

- Tight LSA cams. (I'm now around 18mpg tops)

Man.. I got bit three times today... Mouse moves off the page, I hit the backspace and I lose everything I wrote.

I ran Taylor Thundervolts before, but I didn't have any luck with them. I'm now running MSD8.5's. I like them a lot.

fox - The order I installed things, and gains that I can remember:

Plug wires and drop-in filter. This got me up into the lower 17's... They're a good start for like ~$100 or so.

Then came the B&B exhaust. This got me into the lower 18's. ~$600

I completely forgot, but the same weekend I installed e-fans, I also did some very basic tuning with HPTuners. I modified my injector flow rate table, which may have skewed my DIC indicated mileage. I felt the truck rev much more freely with the e-fans, and in general it felt like it got around a little easier. Mileage was up in the 19's consistantly, but sometimes as high as low 21's on one or two occasions where I really took it lightly.

Almost all of my driving is on backroads with speeds between like 35 and 45mph... so I spend a lot of time at very low RPM in lockup - where the truck is most efficient.

My actual highway/interstate mileage at 70mph always dropped lower than those bests. Usually my hightest was in the 18's.

Once I added a 220/220 112 cam to the motor, my mileage when right down to about mid 17's.

It has since come back up into the 18's since I got the smaller 210/218 112 in there.

Just last night I made some tuning changes that (if anything) gave my DIC back all the milage accuracy it has as stock (was it accurate to begin with?) I'll have to check it again these next few days to see how they compare.

Thanks Zippy. I have been using BP Amoco 87 since day one and have had zero knocking.

you said thanks like zippy just proved you right or something. it does recommend using premium fuel

Archived