Is there a way to get better gas mileage

Are there any small mods I can do to get better gas mileage out of my SS. When i had a stang i put a k&N air filter in it and new plugs(forget what kind) and it gave me a lot better gas mileage. I have a regular fram air hog air filter in there now but was wondering if there are any tricks to get this thing a little better gas. Window sticker said 13 city and 17 highway, i'm getting like 11-12 city and 14.4 highway. Help me out here

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ain't gonna happen!!!!

If you want better gas mileage I suggest buying a beater Civic or something and park the SSS. There are not many things you can do to better your gas mileage and if it does help, I'm willing to bet it won't be much! :banghead:

Late- Alex

stay off the gas is the only solution i have come up with, i try to keep it under 2K rpm if i need to save gas( which is never) these trucks are so hard to drive slow i have trouble staying below 75 on the free ways . Its like the more i drive this beauty the more i like it :chevy:

Everyone elses ideas sound great, but in all seriousness, I added a Jeg's throttle body spacer and noticed about 1.5 mpg gain. That's pretty good if you ask me. PLus, it only cost about $100. Intake and exhaust is also supposed to help in theory. Good Luck!

:thumbs:

stop sayin get a civic cause it isn;t happening, i was more asking this question because i see others who say there gas mileage is a lot greater than mine so i thought i was doing something wrong. The SS will not be parked so stop offering that advice :driving:

Hey man, RELAX!

We were just offering our advice to you because gas mileage isn't one of the biggest benefits this truck has to offer and if you believe what that sticker said on your truck when you bought it, hell is about to freeze over too! :banghead: It is what it is, gas mileage plain sucks on the SSS, but that wasn't what I bought it for. As a matter of fact I wasn't even interested in the mileage this truck gets. I mean really, your getting 11-12 in the city and the sticker said 13??? :dunno: That's pretty damn close if you ask me.

Late- Alex

well, as my truck got more and more miles on it, the mileage has gotten better and better. started out about 12 highway and it's up to about 16 now, and leveled out.

besides that, what these guys said... toneau cover e-fans, tune, and air intake are probably your best bets. also a lightweight set of wheels would help out.

Archived