Had a run with a Lightning

Krambo

Well, I travel alot with my job and yesterday I had to travel from Northwest NJ to Philly about 1.5 - 2 hrs. I took my exit off of I-95 when a silver late model lightning blew by me at about 110. Very loud exhaust, kind of like a short glasspack without cats. Anyway, this truck hit the brakes and slowed for traffic...at least that is what I thought at the time. He was in the fast lane and slowed enough for me to creep by him in the middle lane...thought he was just checking out my truck but I was wrong. He was setting me up for the lights. Went through about 3 yellows listening to him be a throttle jockey next to me when I hit a red light. He obviously wanted to play and I didn't, had to get to work in one piece without a ticket....but I figured I will humor him and take my loss.

The traffic was pouring heavy from the other road onto our street which made me less interested in doing this but I was ready. I watched the yellow on the opposing lights turn to red and gave one quick glance around for cops. :uhoh: The green fell and I hit it a split second quicker then he did. Slight tire spin on his part but it was a great launch for a lightning on the street. My fender length lead was shrinking slightly when we both had to hit the brakes hard to avoid hitting the morning traffic rush. I call it a draw through the short 300 - 400 feet race, but he obviously wanted to add me to his kill list. I had my exit coming up and merged into the fast lane for my left turn all the while he paced me in the middle lane. I turned, he laid a patch and that was that.

My truck is only modded with exhaust (dual flowmaster 40 series), intake with K&N, Mobil 1 and 80mm Mass air. I did only have a drop of gas in my tank and the air was very cold for a May morning (40 F) - gotta love the temp in the mirror!. All in all, I thought I would be crushed however the SS held its own in the short distance. Had there been no traffic, he would obviously run circles around me in the top end but thats too bad.

as a guy that hangs out on the NLOC board (for obvious reasons) and also being in NJ and knowing the guys on the board from the area... i don't know anyone that drives a silver L into Philly, so you might want to check at like F150online... plus, it hasn't been posted yet, i let you know if it does...

-Joe

Keep me posted! The Lightning was obviously an animal and could do some serious damage on the street! Would love to see under the hood. The windows were tinted very dark and the rear window had the half black tint and half cream but blended...you know what I am talking about. Anyway, the truck wasn't from NJ either.

Archived