Gtech

SSBeaumont

I'm not questioning their accuracy per se. I'm questioning whether or not you should base test results on measurements that could be questionable based on a 10hz sampling rate. It may be okay if you slowly increase your rpm, but I still wouldn't want to base a decision on any modification off of a gtech measurement. On top of that, you can't increase slowly because you have to hit a certain glevel to trigger the DAQ. The high priced DAQ equipment is high priced for a reason (greater sampling rates and accuracy). That equipment is what you would base test results and decisions from. Granted, not everyone has access to the best DAQ equipment. Still, gtech did not put this out as test equipment. It is there to give a rough estimate of where you currently are. Unless you drastically change hp, I don't think you could say any minor changes in hp using the gtech equipment is valid for proving a modification works .

Try it and see if it works. $200 is a small price to pay if it works. I don't doubt that it works. I just wouldn't trust the readings it gives. As long as it shows an increase when it should and a decrease when it should, it's working. It's probably worth the risk. I'm lucky enough to have access to some serious DAQ equipment, so I don't have to worry about it. ;)

I along with a few others here actually have a Gtech Pro Competition. It's a wonderfully repeatable device. In "road racing mode" jboyd2004 is correct in saying that the sampling rate is 10Hz. It is also user adjustable up to 20Hz.

HOWEVER, in "drag strip mode" the accelerometers sample at 400 Hz, data process, and then datalog at 100Hz.

This is in contrast to:

Land and Sea chassis dynamometers - 200 Hz

OBDII Handheld Scanners - 25Hz high, 12 Hz typical

Dynapack dynamometer data aquisition - 10Hz

If you don't have an AWD Chassis Dyno with long wheelbase capability near you I highly recommend the GTech Pro RR at $300.

Or you can call jboyd2004 and try get him to lend you his high $ data toys from his work :) But as you can see from the Gtech site, it's hard to get more accurate even for MUCH more money: http://www.gtechpro.com/accuracy.html

It'll make a nice Christmas gift to your SS.

I'm questioning whether or not you should base test results on measurements that could be questionable based on a 10hz sampling rate.

Great info haulin79... I already decided a few weeks ago to get my truck one for Christmas. I only planned on getting one just to play around with it, and to use the info from it as a rough estimate, but those statistics you posted sounded pretty impressive. And since I heard yesterday that our local strip has been overrun by ricers and it's too crowded on test and tune nights, this might be an alternative for the time being.

haulin79: Great Info. You've pretty much sold me on the unit(purchase will have to wait). Wonder if they will let me sign-up as a dealer?? I'll have to contact them :thumbs:

Good thread. Thanks to all for the great info on a useful item :flag:

I along with a few others here actually have a Gtech Pro Competition.  It's a wonderfully repeatable device.  In "road racing mode" jboyd2004 is correct in saying that the sampling rate is 10Hz.  It is also user adjustable up to 20Hz. 

HOWEVER, in "drag strip mode" the accelerometers sample at 400 Hz, data process, and then datalog at 100Hz.

This is in contrast to:

Land and Sea chassis dynamometers - 200 Hz

OBDII Handheld Scanners - 25Hz high, 12 Hz typical

Dynapack dynamometer data aquisition - 10Hz

If you don't have an AWD Chassis Dyno with long wheelbase capability near you  I highly recommend the GTech Pro RR at $300.

Or you can call jboyd2004 and try get him to lend you his high $ data toys from his work  :)  But as you can see from the Gtech site, it's hard to get more accurate even for MUCH more money: http://www.gtechpro.com/accuracy.html

It'll make a nice Christmas gift to your SS.

I'm questioning whether or not you should base test results on measurements that could be questionable based on a 10hz sampling rate.

I have owned a gtech for a while now and The only use as stated above is t see if a certain mod accutually makes any improvements. From my experiencewith it it does.

I first made 4 stock runs then took average of these as my baseline

and after every mod 4 more runs and an average and compare that to the first runs was how you could see your improvements.

For this the gtech works very well.

I will say unless you run it at a strip to compare its number to theres I wouldnt say its 100% accurate either.

Archived