Tail Gate Latch

desrtrat

well my tail gate latch is not working. went to open it up and nothing..has anyone ever have this issue?

and what was needed to repair. i have not removed the cover on the inside yet, it's dark, and the winds blowing about 30+ mph, and I'm :fume:

anyone have a exposed pics of the latch assemble? and how to remove..any help would appreciated.

Never had it happen to me :dunno: When you pull the handle is it loose or hard to pull? Do the latches make any sound at all? I am trying to remember what a stock gate looks like but there should be a plate to remove directly behind the handle on the other side of the gate. Remove that (probably torx screws) and you should be able to get in there and see if anything broke or is seized up.

IIRC correctly the handle mechanism freezes. you can the handle bezel off and use some rust penetrating lube to free it up, also shoot some on side latches. :cheers:

..... :cheers: .............mine did the same thing a few years ago......It would open just fine, but it got to the point of having to almost "slam" it to shut....opened it up and found that the mechanism inside had some rust build- up preventing the latch rods from releasing............I took mine all apart, wire-wheeled the rust off, and put some lithium grease on it............has been working flawless ever since.

From what you've described it sounds like the plastic clip that connects the handle to the latch broke, easy fix and the clips can be bought at your local auto parts store.

UPDATE...

fixed :driving:

the clip on the right side broke and the rod fell out. if anyone else has to do this.. :smash: beware, when unbolting the latch from the inside, DO NOT take the 3 bolts out completely. :smash: there is 3 large washer/spacers between the latch and the gate, and if your not lucky they will fall into the bottom of the tail gate.. :banghead: so loosen them enough to get the bezel off, and the rest is a snap :cheers:

i replaced both clips $4.99 each just so i don't have to replace the other one next week when that one brakes :lol: shot it up with some white grease and reinstalled...after parts chasing, and 2 cups of coffee, takes less than 10 min..

THANKS again all

:seeya: