Painless Performance Products

SuperDave

I installed a Painless Performance Products kit #30822, High beam headlight relay. I carefully followed the directions and the install took 20 minutes and went flawlessly.

That is until I fired the truck up and checked out my work. The headlamps work as they are supposed to. Normally when you turn the brights on the dims go off. Now they all four light up when the High beams are switched on.

While I had the headlights out of the truck, I installed a pair of Wagner replacements for the Sylvannia 4157NAK bulbs. These are the recommended amber glass daytime running light replacements mentioned in another post here on the SS site.

The DRL's do not work now. I reinstalled the stock bulbs, and they don't work either. I followed the directions carefully and double checked my work on the Hi 4 install, and all appears to be OK. Are the only fuses for the DRL's under the hood? Those are still good!

Does anyone know what I've done? Or how to fix the problem?

Help guys! :crazy:

I have never used their kit before so I am no help in that area. I'm sure their tech crew should be able to help out. I spoke with a sales rep at GM Carlisle last year and they helped my friend set up a LS1 in a 2000 S10 extreme pick up. I used the diode mod in mine. It took about 5 min to install and I have had no problems with any of the lights so far. If it is a problem with the painless kit, try the diode. It's a buck or so from radio shack. :seeya:

I used the diode mod in mine. It took about 5 min to install and I have had no problems with any of the lights so far. If it is a problem with the painless kit, try the diode. It's a buck or so from radio shack. :seeya:

Man, I gave like 45.00 bucks for the stupid relay kit! I feel like I've been dry reamed! What kind of diode, how's it work? Is it safe?

I'm depressed now :rolleyes:

Ben, I don't know if there are fuses inside or not and the truck is in the garage today, hail is predicted here! I've also emailed the tech guys at Painless.... so far, this hasn't been Painless! :jester: Thanks for the help guys! :cheers:

Dave

Go to our how to section and look back about 2 months. Look for the headlight conversion kit article. Irymal posted a site that has this mod. the diode is part # 1N4005 and it comes 2 in a pack. I just popped out the relays for the headlamps and installed the diode to connect between the 2 # 85 terminals...Let me know if this helps.

John

i thought i had the same prob too, but the sockets for the drl's is a very tight fit. you may want to try pushing them in harder. i know it sounds stupid but i bought another set cause i thought mine were burnt and that's what it was. been using the same set now for 4 years and 3 trucks and they haven't burnt yet, nor have i had any problems. the drl's shouldn't be affected by the headlights.

as far as the module for your headlights, you got raped but no too bad because the one i saw was $60. i have the one for pre 2003 models but couldn't use it for some reason because i guess it's wired different. i only paid $20 for it though. but i've done the diode mod and it took me a while to get everything figured out and gain the confidence to splice into the harness but i did it and everything works great!!

I bought the same Painless Wiring Kit and the local shop that installed my Gaylord X2000 cover installed it for free. Kit # 30822 is supposed to be for the 2003s. They have an earlier kit for the older model Silverados. This kit has always worked fine for me. Low beam, 4 light high beams and proper function of Daytime Running Lights. I have not messed with the DRLs though.

The wiring installation that my shop did was sloppy though and I had to redo it for a clean, safe, and reliable use. They had routed the battery positive wire straight across the engine bay to the relay mounted on the radiator support near the driver's side headlights (no protective looms or anything).

Undo your work to the DRLs and recheck.

I'm the rascal who took that picture. I too spent more time on removing the relays than actually installing the diode. I actually popped one of the plastic covers off a relay. Scared the heck out of me. I popped it back on and everything was fine---the relay was ok.

Mysteriously enough the problem I was having has healed itself. My Hi Four conversion relay is working fine, and the DRL's seem to be fine now. I didn't touch a thing, I think I may have been trying it out on my driveway in the shade of my roofline or something?? I don't know what for sure, but my guess is the light sensor didn't see daylight.

Whatever the case, all is cool now! :thumbs: I still feel like a dummy for giving the money for the Painless kit when I could have done the diode mod, are there any cons to the diode mod? I'm trying to regain respect here! :jester:

....I could have done the diode mod, are there any cons to the diode mod? I'm trying to regain respect here! :jester:

There really aren't too many issues that can mess anything up. In dealing with discussions in the past with the diode, I'm listing some points that were brought up:

• A code is thrown on some trucks, but not a SES. If thrown, it might be revealed with a code reader. Doesn't seem to reveal itself anywhere else or cause problems.
  • The diode is connecting the two relay coils and does NOT need a high wattage voltage source. A very small diode will work perfectly fine. Many modifiers think the diode is carrying the light-bulb's wattage which is not true.
  • This diode modification is for 2003 models and upwards.
  • Some modifiers noticed a dimming of the low-beam when the high-beam is thrown. Several of us have tried to duplicate that, but can't. We actually placed cardboard in front of the high beam, flipped the highs on, and observed the low-beam. No dimming at all.
  • This is the easiest modification that you can do that doesn't do any major hacking. If you solder thin-gauged wire to the relays, then solder the diode to the thin wire, then the modification can easily be removed by closely clipping with wire cutters, such as "nippy cutters".
  • This is really not a major hack (re-emphasis). I have been running this since Spring of 2003, I think. It just "boringly' works and really lights up the road, even with factory bulbs.
  • I did NOT originate this. I got the idea from other readers and keep propagating when I need to, to help save folks time and money. My thanks goes to the others who figured it out, but seem to have disappeared from the truck lists.

Hi Dave.

Don't sweat the $40. At least they work and you are using what you spent the money on. Me on the other hand still haven't sold the SS dash cluster I bought to upgrade the 04 LT I had before the SS. That little jewel cost $265. shipped to my door. Oh well, maybe I can use the box as a foot rest or something. Glad your lights are working ok. :seeya:

Archived