Did McGaughy's spindles today

rico750sxi

Here's some details on the spindle install. A friend from work and me started at 9:30am and finished at 2pm. Everything was relatively easy with no problems or even better, bloody knuckles. I'll go into detail with each picture.

Here is a picture of the drop spindle, see all the burrs on the hole there. We used a dremel to file it down so they wouldn't be trapped in the ball joint boot.

50662546.jpg

The stock spindle still attached minus brake disc and caliper. The tie rod is also broken free and the CV/axle has been removed. I had to change shocks anyways back to the stock ones from the shorter GF ones so it made getting the CV out a lot easier.

50662447.jpg

Now the hub has been removed.

50662499.jpg

A picture comparing the two spindles:

50662492.jpg

Here is the high tech method we used for breaking the lower ball joint loose. A jack under the ball joint bolt and a whack on the top of the spindle.

50662486.jpg

Similar set up to break the top loose. We used a bottle jack and long bar under the A arm on each side. I labeled the picture wrong, where it says jack under Spindle it's really up to the A arm on the other side.

50662480.jpg

More to come-----

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New spindle in place without stud in top hub hole.

50662470.jpg

This time the spindle has the stud in the top hole so you can mount the hub with a nut there instead of the stock bolt through the backside. The way the new spindle is there is no room for the top bolt so they do it this way.

50663947.jpg

The upper ball joint bolt after tighteniing it. The nut for this actually recesses into the spindle. This excess bolt will need to be trimmed.

50662521.jpg

Here it is trimmed, we used a 4 1/2" grinder with a cut off wheel attached. It needs to be this clean for clearance, trust me!!

50662511.jpg

It's a bad picture but here is the clearance between the spindle and CV. Only about 2-4mm tops I would say.

50662506.jpg

Nearly finished now, didn't snap pics of axle being put back in or of calipers being put back on.

50662711.jpg

Finished product looking down the side. Really needs an alignment bad!!

50662700.jpg

To me it looks like the front tires stick out about 1/2" more than before but we'll see after the alignment. Anyone else notice this who have the kit? Anyone thinking of doing it I say go for it. It wasn't too difficult.

Also, I need a couple more torque specs please. I need the specs for the hub to spindle and for the tie rod to spindle. Thanks

Great pics

So looking at this picture, the 2" drop comes from moving the CV mount location and the spindle is taller than stock :confused:

I didn't know they made them taller I thought it was all in relocating the mount.

Also, why don't they trim the spindle?

50662492.jpg

50662511.jpg

The spindle is the same size and I didn't trim anything on the spindle other than filing the burrs whcih propably isn't too critical. I think the picture is making it look like the spindles are different sizes. I just had to cut the upper balljoint bolt. The lowering comes from moving the hub bolt only. I'll measure one of each tomorrow to make sure though.

We used the instructions which were pretty basic but also excellient at the same time. What I mean is they were to the point and easy to follow. I also had the article on the install from Street Truck from last month. The time I listed also included swapping shocks in front and bumpstops. Also of note, we used no air tools. My impact sh*t the bed so we used an electric impact where we needed it which wasn't too many places. And we didn't really need my air rachet.

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I have to admit it was a lot of fun to do it.

Archived