Cai Wars

12'SROCK

Well next weekend is the day of the CAI dyno wars. Justin (.justin.), Reynaldo (chpspecial) and myself will be testing several intakes on my truck to see which one performs the best

........Brand: ---------------AEM (Dryflow)---------------Outlaw Performance---------------K & N----------------STOCK---------------GMPP

Horespower:-------------------???.??----------------------------???.??------------------------???.??---------------???.??---------------???.??

.......Torque:-------------------???.??----------------------------???.??------------------------???.??---------------???.??---------------???.??

...........IAT: --------------------???.??----------------------------???.??------------------------???.??---------------???.??---------------???.??

Stay tuned, also thanks to everyone who donated their intake :cheers:

CLICK HERE FOR THE FINAL RESULTS

Edited by 12'SROCK (see edit history)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I can already tell you the IAT on the Outlaw, my mirror (ambient) read 71-degrees and my IAT logged 140 :eek:; this was after 45-minutes of extended idling (efan tuning).

Mr. P.

holly smokes are you serious? thats pretty damn high. . . .

Thanks for putting in the work and the time on this. We're all interested, and are looking forward to the results.

This may be pin worthy material. If you can save the scans as well, it would be gravy.

Maybe a pull without a filter? I showed gains in that configuration although I was pulling some alot of air.

Edited by Krambo (see edit history)

This may be pin worthy material. If you can save the scans as well, it would be gravy.

Maybe a pull without a filter? I showed gains in that configuration although I was pulling some alot of air.

yeah we are going to do that as well. do you mean scan the dyno graghs?

holly smokes are you serious? thats pretty damn high. . . .

No crap on that one, but remember this was literally parked in the driveway (no vehicle motion) for 45-minutes scanning/restarting/testing/reflashing with EFILive. Another thought is that I don't have a clutch fan anymore, and the efan was cycling normally, I've got it dialed-in where it'll run on low for 90-secs then it's off 90-secs then on again 90-secs... the ECT never got above 185 but the IAT just kept creeeeeeping up and up and up. So best I can figure is that the heat of exhaust creates convection currents underhood and the CAI still breathes this in from the fender, my Outlaw is still as-delivered I have not blocked it off like Krambo so it's still pulling most of it's air in from the inner fender. My suspicion is that all CAIs that breathe from the inner fender will show similar IAT behavior.

Another thing is that my truck never went faster than an idle, no air circulation underhood nor fresh air from driving down the road so the MAF cuff (IAT) may have become heat soaked even though the CAI was supplying cold air. SO here is a very important testing element I would include - Go to Sears, buy one of their $25 multimeters, it comes with a thermocouple (goddamned neat!) and place it inside the airbox or even inside the filter if possible because you may find that the temp inside the air filter is ambient but the IAT gets heat-soaked and that might be why the IAT reading creeps under extended idling (stagnant underhood air) condition

I guess what I am saying is that you cannot truly judge whether a CAI is really picking up cold air from the IAT log, because the MAF is so succeptible to heat soak on extended idling - you gotta have a separate "thermometer" inside the air cleaner element itself to judge if the air cleaner is picking up cold air. Now if *both* the thermocouple as well as the IAT report high temps then yeah the CAI kit is failing to pick up fresh air.

From what I see there are a few basic designs of CAI - "headlight breathers," "fender breathers," "bottom breathers," "underhood breathers," and "cowl breathers" - and inside of each group I would expect products to have similar performance (heat wise) i.e. I would expect all headlight breathing CAI kits (K&N and similar) to behave similarly...

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

yeah we are going to do that as well. do you mean scan the dyno graghs?

You need to make a pull without CAI as a baseline and write down the kPA reading (in theory it should be 100, or 1 atmosphere), then install the CAI to test and note it's kPA reading, it will be less than 100 because it is a restriction but if it's reading 99 it's pretty good else if you see it reading only 80 (!) then it's a obstruction...

Mr. P. :)

No crap on that one, but remember this was literally parked in the driveway (no vehicle motion) for 45-minutes scanning/restarting/testing/reflashing with EFILive. Another thought is that I don't have a clutch fan anymore, and the efan was cycling normally, I've got it dialed-in where it'll run on low for 90-secs then it's off 90-secs then on again 90-secs... the ECT never got above 185 but the IAT just kept creeeeeeping up and up and up. So best I can figure is that the heat of exhaust creates convection currents underhood and the CAI still breathes this in from the fender, my Outlaw is still as-delivered I have not blocked it off like Krambo so it's still pulling most of it's air in from the inner fender. My suspicion is that all CAIs that breathe from the inner fender will show similar IAT behavior.

Another thing is that my truck never went faster than an idle, no air circulation underhood nor fresh air from driving down the road so the MAF cuff (IAT) may have become heat soaked even though the CAI was supplying cold air. SO here is a very important testing element I would include - Go to Sears, buy one of their $25 multimeters, it comes with a thermocouple (goddamned neat!) and place it inside the airbox or even inside the filter if possible because you may find that the temp inside the air filter is ambient but the IAT gets heat-soaked and that might be why the IAT reading creeps under extended idling (stagnant underhood air) condition

I guess what I am saying is that you cannot truly judge whether a CAI is really picking up cold air from the IAT log, because the MAF is so succeptible to heat soak on extended idling - you gotta have a separate "thermometer" inside the air cleaner element itself to judge if the air cleaner is picking up cold air. Now if *both* the thermocouple as well as the IAT report high temps then yeah the CAI kit is failing to pick up fresh air.

From what I see there are a few basic designs of CAI - "headlight breathers," "fender breathers," "bottom breathers," "underhood breathers," and "cowl breathers" - and inside of each group I would expect products to have similar performance (heat wise) i.e. I would expect all headlight breathing CAI kits (K&N and similar) to behave similarly...

Mr. P.

Yeah the dyno has its own Air temp sensor that goes by the filter so that wont be a problem :chevy:

Did that before with Art's truck. 8hp gain up top over the dry filter he has now.