Baer Vs Rwd Ss Calipers

12'SROCK

Well many of you guys, as well as myself, have been questioning weather or not to do the Alumasport front brake kit on the RWD SSS. Well IMO after comparing the two systems, its not worth it:

Both calipers are made by PBR. The RWD SS calipers are cast iron and have dual 50 mm pistons in them where as the Alumasports calipers are aluminum with dual 41 mm pistons. The pad contact area for both calipers is abut the same but the stock pads have slightly more area over the rotor. So besides the weight of the calipers you would be degrading going to the alumasports. The stock rotor is 13" and is 30 mm thick, weighs 25.5 lbs and the bear rotor is 14" and is 28 mm thick, weighs 19.5 lbs, the baer rotor has just 1" over the stock rotor with a better cooling vein design. The rotor weight was almost the same just the bear (2-pc) rotor was lighter (-6 lbs). So with that said with performance aftermarket rotors, ceramic pads, and stainless lines you could have better stoping power than the alumasport kit for a fraction of the cost on your RWD SS. :chevy:

BAER CALIPER

100_0739.jpg

STOCK 06' CALIPER

100_0738.jpg

AFTERMARKET R1 CONCEPT ROTOR

100_0733.jpg

100_0734.jpg

100_0736.jpg

BAER 2-PC ROTOR

100_0674.jpg

100_0666.jpg

100_0675.jpg

INSTALLED AFTERMARKET ROTOR

100_0740.jpg

100_0741.jpg

Edited by 12'SROCK (see edit history)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

great info... the baer looks better... but i suppose thats nothing a little paint can't fix :D

what kind of rotors are you using with the stockers? Hows the vette break project coming?

yeah im gonna end up using G2 epoxy to paint them red. im using R1 concept rotors. the vette brakes are on hold im gonna do the cam and gears first :jester:

... so with that said with perfromance aftermarket rotors, ceramic pads, an stainless lines you could have better stoping power than the alumasport kit for a fraction of the cost. :chevy:

Have you actually done this?

Having driven the OE '03 system, OE '05 system, Alumasport, and 6S kits I can tell you from personal experience the Alumasports will flat-out drop the truck on it's nose at anything under 50-mph. The only thing I would improve on the Alumasports is to get pads that don't squeal after a while. Now I'm no brake system engineer so I cannot speak as to the effects of bore diameters and fluid volumes etc etc etc but I've driven them and especially combined with the fact you can find them used for $500 makes it a great alternative.

BUT I agree with you about cutting costs.

What I would like to see is a kit that uses the Baer Eradispeed rotors and the C5 or C6 calipers, that could be just as good a performer for a lot less $$$. I would also like to see a set of REAL track pads on the stock system, that might bring decent performance albeit the pedal feel won't be any better on the AWD trucks.

But the Alumasports make a drastic improvement and if you can find them for $500 are worth every penny.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Having driven the OE '03 system, OE '05 system, Alumasport, and 6S kits I can tell you from personal experience the Alumasports will flat-out drop the truck on it's nose at anything under 50-mph. The only thing I would improve on the Alumasports is to get pads that don't squeal after a while. Now I'm no brake system engineer so I cannot speak as to the effects of bore diameters and fluid volumes etc etc etc but I've driven them and especially combined with the fact you can find them used for $500 makes it a great alternative.

What I would like to see is a kit that uses the Baer Eradispeed rotors and the C5 or C6 calipers, that could be just as good a performer for a lot less $$$. I would also like to see a set of REAL track pads on the stock system, that might bring decent performance albeit the pedal feel won't be any better on the AWD trucks.

Mr. P.

yes, i have driven an 04' 5.3 silverado vs my 06' brakes, big difference. i was going to buy chases alumasport kit and had time to compare them vs 06' brakes. i have also driven the 6s calipers on reynaldos (chpspecial) truck aswell obviously those are beyond this comparison :jester: . braking under 50 mph with the stock 06' brakes is damn good and will drop the front end aswell. the alumasports is a great upgrade for the AWD trucks but not for the RWD guys. :chevy:

Edited by 12'SROCK (see edit history)

But the Alumasports make a drastic improvement and if you can find them for $500 are worth every penny.

Mr. P.

In order to calculate the amount of clamping force generated in the caliper, the incoming pressure is multiplied by the area of the caliper piston. In our example, the 558 PSI that had been generated at the master cylinder has traveled through the brake pipes and lines and is pushing against two 1.5" pistons per caliper. Therefore, the ‘effective area’ of the caliper will be equal to two times the area of a single 1.5" piston. Working the numbers reveals that 558 PSI will generate 2,068 pounds of clamp load {558 PSI x 1.84 in2 x 2}.

I agree with Mr. P, there was a significat gain over the stock setup with braided lines after adding the Alumasports. As much as i hate the company Baer, they make great brakes.

No i agree with you guys on that, it is a big improvement over the sotck 12" rotor and smaller calipers for you AWD guys, but the system changed for the RWD guys to 13" rotors bigger calipers :chevy:

I upgraded my '03 to Baers at all 4 corners, plus the braided stainless brake lines. A MAJOR difference in stopping power. Plus, I agree that it also upgrades the looks. When I first saw the front brakes behind my wheels, I couldn't believe the difference on how they filled up the space. That 12" to 14" upgrade is nice.

I agree with Art in the fact that the RWD brake system is much better then the AWD set up, stock vs. stock. The RWD brakes provide a much firmer feel over the AWD. I have driven the Baer Allumasport set-up on an AWD SSS and I must say that they are a drastic improvement over the stock 4 wheel disc system. The RWD brakes are decent, and I will vouch for the fact that a rotor and pad upgrade vastly improves RWD brake feel too. I have Power Slot rotors and quality pads on my truck, this combo will drop my truck on its nose as it sits now. My Earl's lines are going on next week, I can only image what the brakes will feel like then. Switching to the Alumasport setup on a RWD SSS is pointless in my eyes too, a few minor tweaks to the existing system in our case makes a world of difference. The AWD SSS need more help in the braking dept.

:chevy:

No i agree with you guys on that, it is a big improvement over the sotck 12" rotor and smaller calipers for you AWD guys, but the system changed for the RWD guys to 13" rotors bigger calipers :chevy:

AHHH ok, didn't realize that. thanks.

OK My fault for getting everyone all riled-up, you are talking about the brake system on the 2WD trucks - my bad. I still say you need 14" brakes on the front, minimum. Oh and gotcha on the hydraulic math.

Mr. P.

i knew the calipers were very similar, and i agree that the 06 brakes are no joke. however, i did notice a HUGE incresae in stopping power when i installed my alumisport kit. it has a much much greater heat capacity, seeing as i warped my stock calipers and rotors. i believe its due to the cooling and the stainless lines. much less/nearly no fade. i have the 6S in the back of the truck waiting to go on, cause i want it to stop like a car lol. as far as dropping the nose on the ground, my truck has never done that. maybe cause its always dropped lol? :jester:

one thing people dont understand is that GM did the drums for a reason... not to be "cheap". the swept area on those drums is MUCH more than almost any other OE truck ebrake hub/disc setup. yes, it did fix the ebrake contamination issue, but thats not solely why they did it.

final word- alumisport kit was really designed for the tahoe/yukon/lade for large tire/wheel packages. these trucks had the pre 05 truck brakes, and they SUCKED. so i agree with you all. the best upgrade (not cosmetically) is to get a 6S up front, and leave the stock drums in the back. that setup would prob outstop my new setup or chases.... i just hate the look of drums, especially behind beautiful 24s

EDIT: saw you guys talking about corvette calipers.... i did a setup on my buddys 1500, stock C6 calipers on baer decella rotors. nice improvement for him, but the vette caliper is going to have less clamping force than the 06 caliper, but it will be lighter if anyone wants to shed 8 lbs :lol: its the Z06 6 piston caliper that needs to be fitted by someone. i thought about it, but didnt want the hastle. you can buy those cheaper than any kit on the market, by a loooooooooooong margin. my cost was like 3xx on them i believe, maybe even less

Edited by kelleyperformance (see edit history)