HOW-TO: Install a rear lowering kit

misterp

First-off, let me say that there is a Collection of Lowering Notes and Best Practices pinned in the Suspension forum.

Displayed here is the install of the McGaughy's deluxe rear lowering kit, but these instructions will be similar for other brands as well.

1-stands.jpg

2-safety.jpg

3-fuelfill.jpg

4-fuelline.jpg

(continued...)

13-shacklein.jpg

14-bumpstops1.jpg

FORGOTTEN STEP - cut two 'nubs' off the rubber bumpstops with a hacksaw or saws-all before reinstalling to frame, or you will have a very rough ride in the rear of the truck!

15-bumpstops2.jpg

16-final.jpg

Mr. P. :)

That is great write up MisterP.

In the rear, is it necessary to cut part of the bump stop if you remove that little bracket in the back??

Thanks for all the pics.

:cheers:

Thank you for the compliment - well, the bracket on the bumpstop is 2" tall, and several have reported that this is all that is required; however the drop kit I am installing here does lower the rear of the truck 3", so I might have to cut a nub or two off the rubber bumpstop.

EDIT - YES, cut two 'nubs' off the rear bumpstops and reinstall onto the frame.

nice write up.  did you just lower the rear and not the front? i've wonderign how that would look.  Pics?

Thanks - I decided to do the rear-end first, I'm doing the front tonight. And it looks really hokey!

very nice "how to" - off topic, what are you doin with a handicap sign in your garage?

:D Ahh you noticed that - well in years past I worked at a hardware store that ordered too many signs for the parking lot (there's also a cut-up stop sign behind it) and after they had been sitting on the back shelf a year I snaked 'em and used the material to create small underhood brackets and heat shields.

Great write-up, as usual.

...well in years past I worked at a hardware store that ordered too many signs for the parking lot (there's also a cut-up stop sign behind it) and after they had been sitting on the back shelf a year I snaked 'em and used the material to create small underhood brackets and heat shields.

Hehe...I have a pile of signs and such from over the years. Any spare sheetmetal I can get my hands on...I keep.

Pieces are on my 240SX for gauge panels, radiator ducting, etc...stuff is great. Most of it looks like plain aluminum...but if you flipped it over, you'd see it was once a speed limit sign, etc..

:D - Brian

Very nice write up! Some people are just naturally helpfull and you sir are definately one of them. :thumbs: I mean damn, who goes through the trouble of taking pics along the way? I bet that camera is pretty dirty huh? :lol: Even though I did the install of the McGaughy's rear air bag system, I still didn't take pics along the way because I got caught up in the install.

Again, very nice job. :cheers:

Can someone say STICKY???

Late- Alex

Very nice write up! Some people are just naturally helpfull and you sir are definately one of them.  :thumbs:  I mean damn, who goes through the trouble of taking pics along the way? I bet that camera is pretty dirty huh?  :lol:  Even though I did the install of the McGaughy's rear air bag system, I still didn't take pics along the way because I got caught up in the install.

Again, very nice job.  :cheers:

Can someone say STICKY???

Late-  Alex

Thank you - I just help where I can.

Archived