dry shot and tuning

zippy

something TJ and I have talked over and haven't tried yet is a dry shot setup on an SS. of course the most common way is with a wet shot, but it seems a dry shot if you had enough pump and injector volume (say walbro and 42lbr's) would be a pretty hot ticket. with self tuning ability i'd assume all you'd have to do it make a few passes (street or other) and see what the IAT readings shoot to as the nitrous flows past the maf. with the ability to add or retard timing using your tuning software you should be able to pull xº of timing starting at a temperature of say 20º higher or so than what your average IAT reading is on the spray. this would make the dry shot i would think the easiest way to run on this truck it would pull the neccessary timing all by itself, have no fuel solenoid to stick, and you could hid it much easier.

any thoughts on this guys?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Using the IAT sensor to detect the temperature change from the nitrous would be a good way to do it. The IAT will decrease suddenly when the cold nitrous hits the sensor in the MAF. So, you would use the "cooler than normal" cells in the IAT spark modifier table to retard timing for nitrous. As for the suggestion of starting to retard 20deg above the nitrous temp, I would say maybe only 10 or 15deg is necessary. If the response time of the IAT timing retard function is fast enough, you shouldn't have to overshoot by much. This could be verified from logs.

If you wanted to be really clever, you could log the temperature change from different size shots and tailor the IAT spark table to pull more timing for bigger shots.

I installed a dry kit on 2bseen's truck as a second stage to his NX wet kit. It hasn't given any trouble at all as of yet. I just have the truck setup for the total shot in the timing department and let him go with it like that. Currently it is 50 or 75 wet (depending on track conditions) that works off a WOT and window switch and then a 75 dry that he can bring in manually. Everything is sized so that he can run up to 200 wet and 125 dry if he desires. I wouldn't worry about pulling very much timing until total nitrous usage gets to the 150hp mark.

What about an n2o dry / turbo combo?  For instance, if I added a 100 dry shot to my setup, should I be pulling timing?

I don't know if I'd run 100 dry on a turbo setup.... BUT, I have a couple of supercharged apps that I'm using a 35-50 dry shot as an "intercooler" on. They work really good and it actually helps fight detonation by lowering the intake charge substantially. You wouldn't have to pull timing for that much and it makes a BIG difference ;)

Yes you definatly have to pull timing. For the 04' newer trucks you have to worry about boost and n20 too. As the fuel pressure should rise with the boost on a 1:1 ratio.

Erik I would try to pull 4 degrees and work your way up from there. As the 100 shot will give you 150 or so to the tires under boost. Watch for kr. I would keep the AFR at 11.0:1-11.4:1 or so with the spray and boost.

:confused: I had a 100 shot NX Dry I used from home before hitting the 175 shot NX LS1 Direct port custom to fit our trucks intake and I had no problems at all. :cool:

I had major problems with the three sage system on my 02 C5 vette. (one dry and two wet) The dry system blow my intake engine and hood to sh*t :mad:

:confused:  I had a 100 shot NX Dry I used from home before hitting the 175 shot NX LS1 Direct port custom to fit our trucks intake and I had no problems at all. :cool:

I had major problems with the three sage system on my 02 C5 vette. (one dry and two wet) The dry system blow my intake engine and hood to sh*t  :mad:

there is an advantage to the truck as far as that's concerned. the truck has an intake with a larger volume as well as longer intake runners and intake ducting. this all gives the fuel system time to catch up from what it see's at the maf. with the vette being such a straight shot it's filling the cylinders with nitrous almost instantly.

• 3 weeks later...
something TJ and I have talked over and haven't tried yet is a dry shot setup on an SS. of course the most common way is with a wet shot, but it seems a dry shot if you had enough pump and injector volume (say walbro and 42lbr's) would be a pretty hot ticket. with self tuning ability i'd assume all you'd have to do it make a few passes (street or other) and see what the IAT readings shoot to as the nitrous flows past the maf. with the ability to add or retard timing using your tuning software you should be able to pull xº of timing starting at a temperature of say 20º higher or so than what your average IAT reading is on the spray. this would make the dry shot i would think the easiest way to run on this truck it would pull the neccessary timing all by itself, have no fuel solenoid to stick, and you could hid it much easier.

any thoughts on this guys?

So has anyone gone down this road yet? :confused: I'm starting to like this idea because it's so simple...

Archived